PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Wow, over 2 centuries before Londoners started dropping their pipes in favor of cigars. I guess we diehard pipe smokers really are traditionalists in the strictest sense of the word.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Inderwicks at 45 Carnaby Street have long since gone. I have a single briar pipe made by them purchased by me in 1985 for Eleven Pounds and I had an account with G Smith & Sons of Charing Cross Road, also sadly no more. Visiting London can be such a depressing experience these days with all my old haunts long since turned into rubbish stores.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perhaps Che's portrait is meant to suggest the Cuban cigar connection, but to my mind, the arrival

of Fidel and his sidekick Che were the doom of Cuban cigars. For my money, Dominican cigars rule,

on those rare occasions when I sacrifice a pipe for a cigar. And I have sampled a few Cuban stogies

in my time, when out of the country.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'll buy a Cuban now and then when I'm in London or Ireland. Never thought to discuss politics when in Foxe's, the store is just across the way from the hotel I enjoy and I stop in fairly frequently. Che is still a revered hero to some. To each his own I guess.
I do agree that the Cuban cigar is not what it was. Those transplanted Cuban seeds have ripened into a great leaf! I do favor the Dominican's but, the attraction of the "forbidden" is sometimes too hard to resist. Fidel still turns out a decent product and some really great ones.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I smoked a ton of Cuban cigars years ago but sadly haven't smoked one in probably 15 years or so. My favorites were H. Upmann coronas. The difference for me between Habanas and everything else (other than construction and draw which was always perfect) was when I would exhale the smoke and let it waft around while smelling it with my nose, it was just tasty and indescribable in its goodness. I think the Nicaraguan leaf is closest to Cuban but sadly not nearly as good.
I also agree with dottiewarden that Mexican cigars are very underrated and are a great smoke, Santa Claras were my go to brand for many years until they were discontinued.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
That article made for some very interesting reading, especially the start of Dunhill and before that how King Charles I only allowed for pipes to be made in London. I guess that's why so many estates bear the "London Made" stampings

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My Samsung uses Chrome as the browswer. Replying to a thread is a little tricky as it auto-zooms the comment box (as Kevin mentioned). I have to scroll it back down in size to type in a comment. Other than that, no other issues. I use Firefox on the laptop.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great link, Jay. Going to explore some of the other photos, when I get the chance. Thanks for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.