PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I came across this interesting article detailing the history of the tobacco curing barn, their architecture, different curing methods, and their impact on the surrounding communities. Having lived in New Hampshire my whole life I have never seen a tobacco barn in person; there are none in this state, though there are a few in Massachusetts and more in Connecticut. But I found this article interesting and I thought I would share it.
Tobacco Barn | Considering a Lineage
Lots of beautiful pictures, too.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I appreciate you sharing that piece. I saw some curing barns in Kentucky and southern Ohio when I was a kid. Those barns were still in use but were of the rectangle style.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That's a cool connection, @rsuninv. I spent a bunch of time in Kentucky because of relatives so I've seen plenty of these old barns.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife grew up partly on her grandparents' tobacco farm and would tie the leaf to sticks to hang in the

tobacco barns to cure. I think a fire was kept burning at the foundation to warm the leaf. For years, I drove

past a number tobacco barns on the way to work, but they are slowly melting into the landscape, mostly.

Leaf is often sold under contract and cured elsewhere off-site. Every once in a while, a farmer or developer

will pull down one of the tobacco barns completely and it leaves a void. Some of these farms have been

cleared for truck docks and apartment complexes. I used to be able to watch cattle, horses and donkeys

on the way to and from work. A good black snake was a welcome resident in tobacco barns to keep rats

and other varmints away.

johnnie

Lurker
May 21, 2014
Grew up in the Burley belt and saw a lot of air-curing tobacco barns that looked like derelict structures until harvest time. The auction house in our little town shut down mid-90's and some of the farmers had already begun producing sunflowers. Haven't been back for 15 years, don't know the landscape anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.