PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have found Virginia Heaven! No surprise, it comes from McClelland. GKCPC Boston 1776 - a tobacco worth stating a revolution for! SP says "Red, Lemon and Orange Virginias, aged through summer sweats for over five years, then hard-pressed in cakes to age again, to mellow and marry...". I find it to be a deep, rich, and bold blend made from top shelf leaf. I liked it so much, I immediately ran out and bought two more tins to cellar! I may have found my easy to get, every day smoke!
Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely give those tins a few years and prepare for Virginia bliss. I think McClelland is perhaps the primo Virginia blender, the way C&D is to burley.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Red, Lemon and Orange Virginias, aged through summer sweats for over five years
Tim, I bet there is a lot of yeast in there! I know that when I sweat in the summer, I get a lot of yeast on me as well. But I don't burn well. I know, my ex-wife tried setting me on fire but she couldn't keep me lit. :puffy:
Too much yeast.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Damn, Tim, what will you be excited about next week?
Woodbridge! :wink:
Tim, I bet there is a lot of yeast in there! I know that when I sweat in the summer, I get a lot of yeast on me as well. But I don't burn well. I know, my ex-wife tried setting me on fire but she couldn't keep me lit.
Too much yeast.
Too much yeast, or too much sugar? I think instead of burning, you simply carbonize! :nana:

Oct 7, 2016
Tim, you need to give me a list of things you haven't tried that you might go over the moon for.That way I can be on the lookout for you. Beware, I am dangerous that way. Ask ssjones.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Tim, you need to give me a list of things you haven't tried that you might go over the moon for.That way I can be on the lookout for you. Beware, I am dangerous that way. Ask ssjones.
You gotta' remember, I was a Latakia freak until this past August! I'm still new to the Virginia, Va/but thing! It's a whole new world! :oops: 8O :eek:
Tim

Oct 7, 2016
It really is a different experience. Went through the same transition many years ago. Now, I try to balance things out. I find I appreciate Latakia/Oriental blends if I don't smoke more than 4 or 5 bowls back to back. But really, there are a few Virginias / VaPers out there that, at least when I am smoking them, I say to myself "as long as I like get this, I wouldn't mind all that much if they pulled everything else off the market." No Latakia/Oriental mixture that I have found currently produced gets me to that point, though there are several I enjoy.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I find that I prefer McClelland Virginias and broken flakes but Viprati is a really nice VaPer that is hard to resist. And I am still new to Latakia blends but like them every 3rd or so Bowl. And I really like Latakia cut into autumn evening or Trout stream. I am sure that makes English purists cringe.

Oct 7, 2016
Whatever you like is great. Pipesmokers have always been experimenters. I am even trying out things like Haunted Bookshop, Dr Bradley's Mixture, etc.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Boston 1776 is one of my go to blends. I like it a lot and have quite a bit put away. It has a subtle herbal/clove flavor to me when smoked fresh.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a tin of this (plus a whole raft of McClelland Va and VaPers) winging its way to me from the States.
Quite appropriate really as I'm currently reading David McCullough's excellent book '1776: America And Britain At War'.
Quite looking forward to getting my haul...thanks Stan :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I concur with the OP, it is quite good. I place it right between Epitome and Blackwoods on the Virginia flake scale. I stocked up on all 3 about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.