PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
My wife’s been hassling me to go for a hearing test. She’s the only person who has to repeat herself to me. I keep telling her that I hear other men and women fine.
I also told her that half the time she’s three rooms away asking me questions. How can anyone hear someone speaking when their three rooms away?
So to please her, my appointment for a hearing test is Monday. She said to me.
“I’m going with you.”
I said. “No you’re not. What are you my mother?”

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Way more people have hearing loss than ever get checked our treated. One of the best things I did was get checked and purchase good quality hearing aids. It is very common to have hearing loss in the frequency range that is the same as many female voices.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
lalala.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Rock concerts, small arms fire, armored tracked vehicles, motorcycles and Klipsch loudspeakers have all taken their toll on me over the years.
I have mild mid range hearing loss, which is the band in which most voices reside. I ask my wife to repeat herself while in the same room but can hear the cats getting into mischief in the kitchen while viewing a program on the other end of the house.
If the cats learned to be mischievous in the mid range sound band, I'd never catch them....
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Couples can have inattention problems from multi-tasking and trying to communicate while their attention is divided, the water's running, and the radio is on. Some hearing loss turns out to be easy to fix, like ear wax. On the other hand, hearing loss can be gradually isolating, because you don't miss much of what you can't hear. If you don't hear people other than your spouse, you seldom know. Hearing aids are not an easy fix, despite all the ads and exams offered related to them. They can be surprisingly expensive and you have to find just the right one for you; a good one can be a total loss for some people who might need another type. Meantime, be understanding. Some people who are ignoring you, or can't understand you, just can't hear you. Dealing with the public, you must always be alert to the hearing impaired.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Good hearing aids are expensive. Mine were over $4,000 with no help from health insurance. But if you go to a competent audiologist, they should be able to match you up with something that works well. I would not go to one of the brand stores where they give you a quick hearing test and then try to sell you their brand.
The increase in quality of life is substantial though. The nicer ones have a blue tooth link to your cell phone that allow me to hear my phone calls near perfectly.
The one thing the hearing aids don't help much with is hearing someone when you're in a noisy environment such as a loud nightclub or restaurant. Even with that though, you can get a small microphone for your wife if you wish to have a conversation with just that one person. Do some research and you can be helped immensely. The amount of misinformation out there is tremendous, no different than what has already been posted on this thread.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
mso489[/quote]If you don't hear people other than your spouse, you seldom know. Hearing aids are not an easy fix, despite all the ads and exams offered related to them. They can be surprisingly expensive and you have to find just the right one for you; a good one can be a total loss for some people who might need another type.
I hear other people perfectly. Therein lies the problem. As for cost. The VA which is my health care provider is where I would get them from. I have friends who have hearing aids form the VA and they are happy with them. But they are single and really have hearing issues. My problem is my wife, that I love dearly. But she's on this "older husbands needs hearing aid" kick. This is a women's thing. You can't convince me otherwise.
As I mentioned earlier. I hear other women speak with no issues.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The military didn't do me no favors in the hearing dept, Exxon with gas turbines and plant noise before ear protection was mandatory, now I love my selective hearing, I hear what I want. Wife does the same to me Frank, mumbles 3 rooms down, it must be a Female thing.She hates it when I raise the volume on the TV, now CC is available, started with the British Shows, can't understand those Limeys, but love their shows, lot better than American TV.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I also get the deal with the wife. 3 rooms away, face turned away from me, mumbles. It's like she doesn't want to be heard. I get kind of frustrated constantly saying "huh". I'm like "which part of I have poor hearing are you struggling to understand sweetie?" If it were just her, I wouldn't wear hearing aids. Unfortunately for me, I definitely have a hearing loss that is helped with hearing aids.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thirteen years in the Field Artillery has taken it's toll on my ears.

Now throw in firing small arms and various weapons, and another thirteen years of working in a loud factory.

I'm pretty well deaf as a rock (and only 1/2 as much sense), so hearing aids definitely help me out!

On the upside, I have gotten pretty good at reading lips! :)

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
She says its my vanity why I won't wear hearing aids. I said what?
I'm the guy who wears the same underwear for years. I shop at Walmart for clothes. I chose to get fake teeth, dentures instead of getting my choppers fixed. My shoes are 10 years old. My lawn mower is vintage 1990. I have more pairs of sweat pants than I do real pants. My socks you sew when needed. And... you dear always complain when we go out that I dress like I was living beneath a bridge.
As I said before. Hearing aids is a women's thing.
Her 4 married women friends husbands, our age, wear hearing aids. That means I need them to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hear my wife talking to me from a different room, on a different floor, while I'm in a room with the radio on and the water running. I think that means my hearing is pretty good, though I can't understand what she's saying. God can hear us no matter where we are, but I have long suspected that I am not God. But if I were God, I think I would also love my wife with all my heart. Such, such is life.
brad, we are watching the series about Queen Victoria, but some of the dialog is lost on us. When the British speak softly with those accents, even the upper crust Royal accents, we don't have a clue what they're saying. We have to take it from context. We look at each other and shrug, offer each other translations from the body language.

My problem is the effectiveness of the hearing aids. I have two pairs, one regular and one bone conduction, but both have their faults. I am not completely deaf, just impaired in a few ranges. I rely on my hearing for orientation of walking and knowing what is around me, and the hearing aids seem to help the ranges I am impaired in, but makes me feel like My head is in a box. I run into things, trip, stumble way more with them on. I probably could get used to it and become more of a visual person in my orientation, but I get so seasick feeling.

Siemens makes one for about $4-5000, but my insurance doesn’t cover them. And, listening to my beautiful wife while driving is worth that, but.... that’s a lot of tobacco. So, I just have learned to watch her lips when she talks, and she has learned to get my full attention when she has something really important to say. Another compromise. And, I say, huh? Say again!” a lot.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
After much resistance, I got hearing aids about 2 years ago.

I didn't like them much even though I paid a pretty penny for them.

With hearing aids, my clothes make noise and my feet clatter.

Oh, and I suppose I can hear better.
But recently I bought an easyTek which connects my iPhone to the hearing aids. I like this device a lot, so I wear the hearings all the time now.
The easyTek is a thing I wear around my neck with a few buttons on it. When a call comes in, I just tap the big button and I talk in a normal voice into the easyTek and I can hear the call in my hearing aids. It's really useful at work where I can keep both hands on the keyboard while talking on the phone. Plus I can listen to music and podcasts from the iPhone when I take my walks in the park.
Since I wear the hearing aids so all the time now, I forget that I'm wearing them. I have to get out of bed sometimes to take them out. And once I had to jump out of the shower cause I realized they were still in my head - my wife groused at me wondering why the bathroom floor was all wet.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Any RVN Vet is eligible for VA Healthcare which covers the cost of top of the line aids, accessories and supplies. If you think you qualify visit your county VSO and have them submit your paperwork.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
She says its my vanity why I won't wear hearing aids. I said what?
I'm the guy who wears the same underwear for years. I shop at Walmart for clothes. I chose to get fake teeth, dentures instead of getting my choppers fixed. My shoes are 10 years old. My lawn mower is vintage 1990. I have more pairs of sweat pants than I do real pants. My socks you sew when needed. And... you dear always complain when we go out that I dress like I was living beneath a bridge.
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.