PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi, I was eagerly awaiting my Anthony Harris double chamber pipe that I won on ebay. It was new. I unpacked it and noticed a long (1/5") pit on the right shank. Dann! Sellers pics didn't show anything. Anyway I have contacted the seller and asked for a refund. I would have bid less had I seen this. Well, I took a few pics anyway. Nice pipe minus that pit

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Need to try laptop sorry. If you are signed in to photo bucket and click on pic it will show others.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is one nice piece of briar. pit or no pit. Seller should have put up a clear shot of that defect in the wood.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Just one mans opinion but I wouldn't worry overmuch. The integrity from this vantage point looks good. But what do I know? You might consider shooting Tony an email. Contact info can be found here:
http://acmepipes.com/The-Person.php
He's a decent dude.
Awesome pipe. Hope it works out for you, either way.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Just one mans opinion but I wouldn't worry overmuch. The integrity from this vantage point looks good. But what do I know? You might consider shooting Tony an email. Contact info can be found here:
http://acmepipes.com/The-Person.php
He's a decent dude.
Awesome pipe. Hope it works out for you, either way.
The massive blocks Anthony must use to create his "eggplant" designs virtually guarantees that there will be some surface flaws when they are finished smooth. That's just how Mother Nature is when it comes to briar.
Since he doesn't care for sandblast finishes in general, he just leaves cosmetic dings alone. He ALWAYS checks to be sure that's all they are, btw. There's no need to worry if they're structural or will affect the pipe's performance in some way. When those are found, they get tossed in the scrap box.
(I've known Anthony for years---talked to him just last night, in fact, at the KC club's monthly meeting--and and can speak for him regarding this. What we discuss more than anything else is the technical side of pipe making. Techniques, philosophies, designs, etc.)
PS --- I've never known anyone to call him "Tony" until this thread. :lol:

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I will admit that his engineering appears to be top notch. I can't comment on how well it performs, damn, but I did take a couple of draws before cleaning the stem and it was incredibly easy and smooth. I really didn't expect that from a pipe either two chambers answer 7.25" L. No whistling unlike a few other makers. I did notice that the draft hole is slightly larger in the second chamber. That must be the reason it draws so well. Maybe I should ask the seller if he's willing to knock the price down $20 rather than ship it back. I have until tomorrow to decide. Only negative to the pipe would be trying to clean Tha second chamber. It's tight and I can't even get my pinky in all the way. I would probably need a thin stick or brush and Bacardi rum dipped paper towel to clean it out. What to do??????

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Oh, and I did throw on a rubber bit before drawing. I always use them for all my pipes. Anthony's acrylic stem was done perfectly. I think I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Ha, you posted that right before my edit. It is rather bubblicious. Reminds me of Kim Kardashian. Lol. I also bought it because it's slightly canted. My occassional asthma does not appreciate smoke in my face.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I will admit that his engineering appears to be top notch. I can't comment on how well it performs, damn, but I did take a couple of draws before cleaning the stem and it was incredibly easy and smooth. I really didn't expect that from a pipe either two chambers answer 7.25" L. No whistling unlike a few other makers. I did notice that the draft hole is slightly larger in the second chamber. That must be the reason it draws so well. Maybe I should ask the seller if he's willing to knock the price down $20 rather than ship it back. I have until tomorrow to decide. Only negative to the pipe would be trying to clean Tha second chamber. It's tight and I can't even get my pinky in all the way. I would probably need a thin stick or brush and Bacardi rum dipped paper towel to clean it out. What to do??????
I'd keep it and smoke the hell out of it. :D
As long as they're relegated to armchair activities, large pipes present surprisingly few "handling problems", and Anthony's TRUE double chamber design absolutely does make for a superior smoke. He has made and sold hundreds of them, and in most cases people who get one soon get more.
Their appearance is definitely a "form follows function" thing, but you knew that before bidding.
Cleaning is a non-issue once you see it done: Just twist the corner of a paper towel into a thin spike, gently "tease it" with a rotary motion into the chamber until it starts to get snug---NOT as tight as possible, you don't want it jammed so tight it can't be removed without tearing off---and then rotate the the pipe/towel combination in opposite directions so that the "tail" loops and corkscrews around the inside of the chamber and wipes it clean.
Just be sure to "mop" the chamber after every smoke, and leave the stem out until next time so air can circulate.
Always a surprise to first time owners of a true double chamber pipe is the chamber never gets gunky. The only thing that collects inside is water vapor. Anthony has opened several pipes that had been smoked many hundreds of times, and the condensation chamber's walls still had visible wood grain. Some grayish discoloration was the only sign they'd ever been used.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
That's a great looking pipe. Maybe the seller would give you a little refund on the price an keep the pipe.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There is a Pete Prevost pipe on SPC that has huge pits in it. It's a Cutty, they want 700.00.
Just food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.