PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
A great day to reflect on what makes this country so great, to celebrate our freedom, and to remember our first President on his birthday. The further along we get the more we forget..........

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
9qxxm9.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Great thread beefeater! Some specifically relevant quotes from our first President.
-If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
-Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
-A slender acquaintance with the world must convince every man that actions, not words, are the true criterion of the attachment of friends.
-Lenience will operate with greater force, in some instances than rigor. It is therefore my first wish to have all of my conduct distinguished by it.
A lot to ponder. I will be mulling over these tid bits for quite some time.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I think they show the precarious nature of Liberty, responsibility, individuality, and togetherness. Very tough stuff all left up to one's preference and perception.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Precarious is a fitting word.

So many in our Country today don't understand how precious Liberty is, or what it even means for that matter. It seems that our liberties are slowly dwindling, as we stand idly by and watch them disappear.

Don't want to turn this thread into a heavy deal---

just enjoy the day and take a moment to ponder....... :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
John Adams defended the slaves that revolted on the Amistad , my relatives earlier came to America on the ship , it was not a slave origionally . I also need to read up about our country, we are fortunate to be Americans.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't know how a beard would play out in this day and age. Didn't Lincoln grow one at the suggestion of one of his younger supporters? I seem to remember reading that somewhere or other.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I would also like to give props to the real first president of the United States, John Hanson. Washington didn't take over until 1789, after the adoption of the Constitution. We were still the United States, from John Hancock until the writing of the Constitution. Just another example of our teachers telling us nice stories and leaving a few facts behind.
john_hanson.jpg

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
gigger, I agree with everything you said. If we were taught that Henson was our first president, the problems that arose and what Washington and the Constitution really accomplished we would have a greater appreciation than just saying Washington was our first president and that's why we honor him.

Status
Not open for further replies.