PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The Chicago Pipe Show was great the last two days. Saturday was the busiest by far and there were lots of people milling about from table to table. Kevin from PM was the first guy I meet from the forums at the show and he is a awesome guy. Friendly and as helpful in person as he is here and super enthusiastic about the industry. I also got to meet Bubba and his lovely wife and he is was an instant friend. Even after I told him that if I was single, I'd have to kill him just to steal his wife (upon which hearing that, without missing a beat he said he understood it wasn't personal, it was just business! lol) on both days he covered for me at my table for lunch and gave me time to walk around. As some of you know, I'm in process of releasing Obsidian Pipe Oil and every time I came back to the table, he had sold more bottles! On a personal note, it was thrilling to see how many B&M's were excited to get the product in stock! I got to meet Stacin and enjoyed talking with him during the baquet. He is marine engineer and travels around the globe on a yacht! Talk about your dream jobs!
Today was an amazing day. Slow as could be attendance wise but meet even more awesome people today and yesterday. I also got to meet a host of tobacco business people and I have to say, as a whole, they couldn't be nicer or more helpful. Marty Pulver of Pulver's Briars, Ian and Tricia Walker, Paulo Becker couldn't be more kind and friendly.
Personally, I picked up an unsmoked 1988 Ashton LX! I was standing at the Dunhill booth (Music City) talking to one of the reps the guy says "Wanna see something really special? Stick around" A minute later this guy and his son walk over and the rep pulls out a G grade pipe, priced at nearly $18K He said it was the first one thats been made in 11 years and there have only ever been 6 of so of them made. The guy (who was with his son) turns to me and says "Yeah, they've only made about 6 of those, want to see 4 of them?" And he had them and pulled them out!!! For the pipe smoker, it was like seeing nearly all the Faberge eggs in one place!

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Sounds like a blast! Glad to hear you had an amazing time...do you have any pics? :D

I can't wait to attend my first show, hopefully this year. Thanks for sharing your experience! :puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What is this Obsidian Pipe oil of which you speak? Inquiring minds want to know!
-Jason

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It was great meeting you too Kevin!
Basker, I don't remember seeing any protestors at all, either this year or last.
Jason, Its a pipe stem oil for keeping rubber based stems looking cleaner for longer. I've been testing it for over a year and developed it because as much as I like polishing my pipes, I was afraid of grinding down the stems to nubs! I hate it when they oxidize and was always polishing it. I've sent it out to a number of people to test and they all came back and said yes, it works! I'll have a website up shortly where people can buy it and am going to have it in multiple shops.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
It sounds as if the show was great this year. How did the anti's behave this year? I know last year they put up a nasty fuss. As much as I hate to admit it, my sister was among the protesters last year.

My whole family are on the nazi side, though since i bitch-slapped all of them silly, they don;t bother me about it anymore.
On topic, hopefully 4noggins picks up some obsidian stem oil, I'd like to give it a go!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I was there, met Haunted and bought my own bottle of Obsidian oil. I think I'll try it out tonight! I was also hoping to meet Kevin, but our paths never crossed.
Basker, I think you're mistaken. Though there were expectations of anti-smoking demonstrators showing up the first year the tent was erected (3 or 4 years ago)they never showed up. There were a few local government inspectors who showed up the first time the tent was erected to check the distance from the MegaCenter (it had to be at least 15' away) and there had to be proper ventilation, but once we met their criteria they never returned (I got this info from a member of the Chicago club).
I managed to pick up a dozen or so tins of tobacco, mostly from McClellands and 3 new pipes: a Rad Davis blasted billiard, a Tom Eltang poker (won in the silent auction), and a freehand from EJH pipes. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Though the weather was a bit chilly (especially out in the tent) it was another outstanding show. Congratulations to head honcho Craig Cobine and the entire Chicago club for a job well done!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I didn't get to meet him Lawrence. I saw him walking around but every time I was free, he was busy talking to others. I'll contact him through his site.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
My weekend at the Chicago Pipe Show.
The first day, Friday, it was hot. It was hazy and humid outside and inside, there was a plethora of activity, the Friday pre-show was the best Friday pre-show ever. Crowded. Lots of deals. Got a weird bulldog. It looks like a bulldog, except sort of strange looking. Left at 12 noon and went back to the room and chilled, drank a few cold ones, watched free cable, checked for bedbugs by pulling the headboard off the wall, tried to find some towels, got bored, went to the smoking tent. Nothing crazy going on. Smoked a pipe and talked to some serious collectors from Russia. About 7 went to the dinner. The chicken was cooked funky. The red russet potatoes (or whatever they are) were great, I had about six helpings. Then they had these small eclairs. I think I ate about 30 of them. Then I got my first of about 50 beers at the cash bar. All of a sudden, someone was making a speech. It was a welcome to Chicago speech. Then, Kevin was making a speech. I told someone at my table, that's the guy from that website, sssssh. No one ssssshed. But what he said was pretty cool. He basically gave a warning, a caveat, a signal. He was issuing a clarion call, a proclamation, he was sounding an alarm, a premonition, a word to the wise. He told of clouds on the horizon, a gathering storm, and was a voice of conscience, forewarning of impending times. He basically said that the e-age was upon us and that the pipe community better step their game up and get more savvy with technology and the web and so on or else they were going to miss a great opportunity to reach out to future generations of pipe smokers. It was a very intense statement and reminded me of the Eisenhower speech when he talked about the dangers of the military-industrial complex, or the speech by Dean Rusk when he smacked down Nixon's staff for not embracing the media. I sure hope people were paying attention because that's exactly what's happening, there is very little effort made to maximize technology to expand the pipe community, EXCEPT by younger pipe smokers, of which there are more and more every day it seems. It was a heavy speech and our table talked about it and debated it for about a half hour and someone told me "all those kids on the internet don't buy real pipes" and I was thinking this is exactly the mentality he was talking about.
Saturday morning, went down to the show. Crowd seemed robust. Lots of wheeling dealing and stuff. Won a bunch of tobacco at the silent auction. There were lots of vendors who were absent, I noticed Bob Kiess wasn't there. Also The Pipe Rack, also Rich Lewis. I wonder if they are okay. It was good, only spent about $50 total all day. Saturday went to the tent and smoked my new bulldog with some people from Minnesota. The temperature in the tent was approximately 6 degrees Fahrenheit with high winds. People were bundled up. There was some all-star sightings of the usual suspects. Noticed that Todd Johnson looks astonishingly like Bob Dylan. I mean seriously. After I realized that, one of those Dylan songs was stuck in my head all night long. The one about "when you're lost in the rain in Juarez, when it's Easter time too".
Sunday, went to the show for about 2 hours, bought a ton of tobacco from McCranie and Cornell & Diehl, talked with some carvers. I noticed that people were leaving and packing up earlier than usual. Smoked a pipe in the tent for a half hour and drove home. Awesome time.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Oh by the way I talked to the guy with the Obsidian Pipe oil and it was amazing and I appreciate someone who fills a niche like that. I plan on eventually buying some because some of my pipes look like crap. I also noticed that even though I am a new poster I went through the care to actually make an avatar and I am not quite sure why it is not showing up but it is really there.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@bigvan - sorry I missed you, but glad you had a good time.
@adam12 - thanks for the awesome props on my speech, and thanks for being one of the 10% that actually stopped talking and listened.
As far as the avatar - Unfortunately, the site can be a little more complicated than we wish it was.
I see your avatar on the "main site", however, the forums require a separate avatar upload.
Go here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/adam12/avatar

foldedflat

Lurker
May 17, 2011
I was there as well! I've been going to the Chicago show since 2003, though I missed a few years in there due to apathy, flu, and marriage (my wedding was on the same day as the show, one year).
I didn't really see any "oh wow" pipes there this year; perhaps they were all bought in the pre-show, which I haven't ever attended.. I heard from more than one carver that they sold more pipes on Friday than Saturday and Sunday combined. I gotta start hitting that one! I did get one pipe in the silent auction. There were good, solid pipes from folks like Rad Davis and Rolando Negoita, as well as a good selection of Dunhills from the US distributor.
Tobacco was where I really felt this show shone. We had the Sobranie throwdown, and the two plugs by GLP, and Altadis was giving away tins of their full line. McClelland had some earth-shatteringly good tobaccos out to sample, including a new one (to me, anyways) that I didn't get the name of, and they had a tin or two of their throwdown blend hidden away.. Cornell & Diehl had their new blends as well, and were running a good deal on tins if you bought four at a time.. and there were a couple of blenders I'd never heard of before (but I'm not an expert), small folks running family businesses with their own concoctions. Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop is the one I got a flyer from, along with a sample of two of their blends, which didn't seem to be the usual bespoke private-label blending at all.
MacBaren had a huge display of every conceivable pipe tobacco they produce. They weren't letting people fill up little sample baggies, though, as is custom; you had to load up a pipe or they'd turn you away. I think this is how they've done it in the past, but it made me sad. Daughters & Ryan had a rep there with their newly-pipe-centered tobacco blends; they had to stop producing shag cut RYO tobacco due to the tax laws that went into effect last year. I picked up a few tins and will report back on their contents.
The smoking contest went very well! I was at the table with the winner, but alas came in at about half his time :) They didn't have very many prizes this year, which is OK; the contest and the contest pipe are the most important things for me. We smoked EMP as the contest blend, which was a good choice since it's so evenly cut and blended.
There were more young pipefolk this year than I've ever seen; when I attended my first show at 21 I was the youngest person in the crowd by fifteen years. It seems like it's catching on, since there was a sizable crowd of folks in their twenties. Nobody was talking about being afraid the hobby would die like they used to; now the fears were mostly that the hobby would be shut down by the government, by taxes or prohibition. Both of these fears have been around since I started... now just the one remains.
Next year I'll be sure to show up for Friday! It sounds like that's where the action increasingly is. But I wouldn't miss the weekend itself; talking with everyone was such a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.