Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.homewoodlife.com/the-briary/

I was contacted through our Magic City Pipe Club's Facebook page by a local paper. I was a little suspicious of the reporter as some of her articles seemed a little on the... well, I just wasn't sure if she was going to make this a positive or negative article. So, I turned this over to one of our younger club members. Her and a camera person took tons of pictures of us at our last meeting, but then in the end, she decided to make it less about our pipe club and more about The Briary, which ended up being awesome. Check out the link. Homewood and Helena, are a couple of little towns side by side just outside of Birmingham that have that Andy Grffith's Mayberry, Norman Rockwell-esque-ness. Most men still wear hats, I have stood around the train station on a Spring afternoon, smoking my pipe talking with the mayor and his churchwarden, and the chief of police and his Dr. Grabow. Everyone honks or waves as they pass by; everyone knows everyone. Just a nice place. And, there is this place called The Briary, where men can still bullshit, backslap, and just enjoy hanging out with fellow pipesmokers, cigarsmokers, or just be around some of the world's most interesting people.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Nice read; not too far from my Daughter's home. Maybe have to make a run next time I'm in Alabama.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
What a great article and a great looking establishment. I would love to vist if I ever find myeld in the USA.

A place like that would never be allowed to exist here, such a shame.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Wonderful read. I feel "Homeward Bound". Places like The Briary are very special. I wish people would spend more time, and money, at their local B&M's. Once they're gone, it's for good.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Briary is a great place for pipe smokers. Three are several other very nice smoking locations in Birmingham but they're 99% focused on cigars. That's all quite interesting given Birmingham has become a very anti smoking city. It's nearly impossible to rent a decent smoking hotel room in the greater Birmingham area. The vast majority of bars are no smoking.
The Briary is a step into the past and a very pleasant one. I hope it can survive in the face of all the anti smoking sentiment.

Hmmm, I didn’t know that about hotels in Birmingham. You might try Pelham next time. There are a lot of restaurants that still allow smoking here, and almost all with outdoor seating are especially pipe friendly. We do have a lot of cigar lounges, and I’ve always been treated well when I bring my pipes to those, especially if I buy a few cigars to take home.

I should get our pipe club to put together a list of bars, lounges, and restaurants where pipes are allowed, call it Pipe Friendly Birmingham.
But, honestly, I never let “policy” dictate if I smoke in a hotel room. I just bring some Ozium spray and a candle, ha ha. Especially rental cars, just spray that Ozium in the floorboards with the recycled air setting on, and no one is the wiser. I’ve never been called on it. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
So proud of this article and how The Briary was portrayed. Even a little mention of Pat, whom I met the day she first came around. Yes, I was one of those giving her chicken fingers!

P

pipebuddy

This is a great article. The author is talented; she seems to have captured the spirit of The Briary and she manages to make me feel as if I was there. :D

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting suggestion on using ozium. Kind of expensive penalty if it doesn't work though.
Or physical office is in Trussville. Pelham is a bit far but it may be worth it.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Although I have never been to the Briary, thanks to Michael I know a lot about them. The article was a nice read, thanks for sharing Michael.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Reminds me of a shop I used to work in...back in the late 60's into the 70's. Everyone was laid back and polite to each other...something you find little of these days. I miss those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.