PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Got an early start on Saturday intending to make a billiard with black palm trim...It does go to prove- generally speaking, the material dictates the design...It's the nature of black palm that it does great as a trim cap on rhodesions, dublins, bulldogs, tomatoes, apples and calabashes- in short, almost anything with a broad arched surface and some meat to it. Structurally, it doesn't do well as a thin band at the top of a billiard...Oh, well...ending up going in a different direction and finished out another one for Chicago...Thought it worked out fairly well..

2h4xg05.jpg

14t9gdd.jpg

4v4pd0.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Do you think black palm is easier to clean than briar after smoke build-up?

Hard to tell- It sands slower than briar, but feels like a softer wood if that makes any sense. it's naturally a little darker, so should show the discoloration less...The actual tobacco chamber is briar, so cleaning that would be no different than any other pipe....

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Another amazing example of your work Zack!!!
You should start a school. I pay $5000 for a week. More if I don't have to bring my own supplies.
*note*
Sarcastic past post comment aside, Zack you do awesome work. I use your posts as an example of what I'd like to achieve.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You should start a school. I pay $5000 for a week.
For that kind of money, I'll even throw in a good bottle of Scotch....:)
Looks more elegant than the first one

Yep- stretched a bit to 6"...but not too heavy- came in at 62 grams...Usually it takes a couple of pipes when I'm trying something new to start dialing it in....
I keep having fun with this- My goal when I started making pipes again 18 months ago was to be producing some really nice pipes within 4 years....That means 2 years....and another 150 pipes to go....:)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I wonder if the black palm would work with a contrast stained briar, or would that just clash and detract?

I think it might look good with just a black contrast stain...probably worth trying...The briar was so nice on the last two, it was hard to go wrong with leaving it natural...
I think I'll try one with a black sandblast- that should work out well...

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
:clap:
Bravo yet again zack, damn fine looking burner. That black palm grows on me more every time i see it included in some part of a pipe. Really makes the pipe "pop" and stand out in a crowd.
Oh and i think you are already making some VERY nice pipes, but i understand and applaud your humbleness and constant desire to improve.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I see that you went with a solid black stem. I think it unifies the pipe better than the brown cumberland was so 'distracting'?...not really SO ...just that, well, you did agree that it would have been nice to be able to match colors, I think.

Seeing this one (or is it the same one?) I'm thinking that the black is better but that the pipe cries out for something else. Red!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Love the look of the Black Palm against the natural briar ! I've used the Black Palm for tampers and stems and found the stabilized stuff easier to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.