PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

insecticide26

Lurker
Nov 24, 2014
I just looking for opionions on a decent pipe lighter nothing overly priced for what it is and reliable with maybe tools attached ..

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Bic lighter. They rule and they're cheap.
P.S. - Search the forums for lighter opinions/recommendations/complaints. You will be overwhelmed with the number of hits.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The Imco is a fine low cost lighter. The Bentley works well and I believe has a tamper attached. Neither will last nearly as long as a Zippo with a pipe chimney.
Matches are the best as mentioned previously. My advice is use matches or an Imco while you save enough to get an Old Boy. The one that pleases your eye the most of the lot.
Mike S.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Matches, a good ole Bic lighter, or a Zippo with a pipe insert. A Zippo has very few parts that can fail, and will last years and years!! I'd avoid any lighter with a pizo electric striker. Those can fail quickly, and are not designed to last forever.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Matches and a bic. Dropped my IM Corona once and now it leaks. Save all that big lighter money for your tobacco cellar!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Where is haja when you need him.
He would KILL to be on a thread like this! :lol:
Other than that, I love my Pipemaster when indoors, and a Zippo when outside.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have a Corona(expensive) which is a great lighter it comes with a tamper. Xikar($45) has three tools in it like

a Swiss Army knife. Lotus($40) has a tamper as well. I like all of them and have had no problems.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I suggest either matches, a Bic lighter, or a Clipper lighter.
I am currently only using matches as I find them more classic in style and easier to move the flame to specific areas. I've had very good luck with both Bic and Clipper lighters as well. The Clippers actually seem to be easier to use simply because they are push button and the flame is a little more pronounced. Neither seems to leak fuel so they last a long time, they are cheap, and consistently reliable.
I own a Zippo pipe lighter and have found it to be nothing but a hassle. Lots of people like them and have good luck with them, but not me. Sure, they are built to last and stand up to wind better than anything else, but mine evaporates fuel very quickly and I got tired of the excessive relights. It just doesn't seem to keep my pipe alight for very long and my method for lighting is no different for any of the other lighters that I've tried. My experience with the Zippo is disappointing given that it's the most expensive lighter that I own.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My first light is always with a match but I prefer to do relights with a butane lighter. Don't know why. Just part of the ritual I suppose.
This "Old Boy" knockoff lighter by Mr Brog has served me well for a month now.
Mr Brog Pipe Lighter

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I had a knockoff Old Boy by a place called Pipelighters.net. It lasted about 3 months and bit the dust. Come to think of it... so did Pipelighters.net. Jeez, I wonder why! :lol:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I love my Zippo pipe lighter. I also really like my Xicar Resource and my Vertigo Old Boy- style lighters. The Xicar and Zippo both have lifetime warranties and the Vertigo one year. I treat them all with care, though the Zippo will stand up to anything pretty much. The others are more delicate and I don't carry them around in a pocket with other things. All have served me well, the newest, the Xicar, for a year or much longer (the Zippo).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have also had good luck with two different Lotus models. The L11 was a gift from a very special person and, with care, it lasted 6 yrs. Not bad for a 40 dollar lighter. The other was a Vertigo by Lotus. Twenty bucks at a B&M. It lasted well over a year.Again, not bad for the cost.
Mike S.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have a zippo pipe lighter and it is great, but it seems like its always out of fuel...
My favorite backup is a cheap "Jeep" lighter.
I have WAY to many relights to use matches!
I use the end of my pocket knife as a tamper.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I use a combo of my zippo with a pipe insert, and matches. If I'm going to be out and about I take the zippo and a box for back up. When outside I use te zippo. Matches are great for when I smoke in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.