A good basic blend to practice flavoring?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
New Accessories
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
What is a decent, smooth and light bulk blend to start experimenting with home casing? I had good results with a pecan prailine sauce and I want to get a little more exotic. Something light, possibly Danish with a touch of black cav might be a good start for this one. Will be ordering a pound so a little blending isn't out of the question. Any suggestions?

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Thanks for the links. I wasn't aware that C&D sold so many straight-up baccys. Merry Christmas to me as I think I might go ape! I want to try something unique next and have pretty much decided on trying a nice XXXXXXX sweetened up with XXXXXX. I decided to delete the specifics. Maybe a couple experienced pallets would like to do a blind taste test? Thanks again, Ron

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'd love to give a go at tasting your XXXXXXXX blend as your pecan praline sounds like it would be delicious. If you don't mind me asking how are you making your casing? Just in general I don't need specifics if its your secret.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
On another note one flavoring I don't think is used enough is hazelnut! I'd love to try a hazelnut burley with a touch of cavendish to round out the burley and give a nice creamy full smoke.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Sounds good guys. I only did about 2oz of the pecan praline and it was sort of a last minute decision. While rifling through the liquor cabinet to find the Woodford Reserve I stumbled across a bottle of Praline Pecan Liqueur "Mahogany color. Dark roasted nut, burnt sugar, and musky nut oil aromas. A supple entry leads to a sweet, glycerous medium-bodied palate with a melange of roasted nut and frosting flavors that linger throughout the medium-length finish" and thought it would pair good with my "secret" (haha!) ingredient. I slowly heated the concoction for a bit and then immediately vacuum sealed it for 48 hours. To my surprise when I opened it the aroma had mellowed. I broke apart the plug formed by the vacuum and it took 4 days to dry. I have only 4-5 hearty bowls left so I must have enjoyed it. The next batch I intend to make will be infused with top shelf blue agave tequila and my "secret" ingredient that I will divulge if it is too hard to guess. Hint: It pairs well with tequila but it isn't salt or lime.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Oh this will be good! I'm a big fan of tequila, spice, and the complex flavors of Mexican/border cuisine.

Status
Not open for further replies.