PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I live in a quaint apartment complex in San Antonio and have very friendly neighbors. And an opportunity opened up two weeks ago this Sunday.
Upon coming home from a Walking Dead party I see two of my neighbors drinking some beers and smoking their cigs. We make small talk, I go inside and bring out a pipe and a brew of my own to join in the conversation. I had no time for drying time so I went to the no fuss blend of Carter Hall. Since I'm really the only pipe smoker I know of I'm still not sure how most of my blends smell to the general public, but since they were smoking cigs everything I have automatically smells 100 times better.
The conversation keeps flowing and a few beers later one of my neighbors let's it be known that whatever I'm smoking smells AMAZING. He requests a few wisps of smoke be sent his way to keep trying to evaluate the new-found scent, and I oblige. We then start to talk about pipes, tobacco, and whiskeys. He was more versed in whiskeys than I, and he let it be known that his favorite was Knob Creek. I told him that I was sold on his recommendation and it will be the next bottle I pick up.
Long story short, he has decided that he wants to try smoking a pipe. I offered him a start up pipe and some samples to get him started. I bagged and labelled a little bit of everything I had. I often go overboard on these start-ups. I even printed out some literature of beginner's tips as well as the tin description of each blend I bagged up so he can read what it is and the types of leaves, and the general flavor of the blend before lighting up.
So about 40min ago I hear a knock at the door and there he is offering up a a bottle of Knob Creek in return for the pipes and tobacco.
iDMKNVi.jpg

And it's delicious. I took a sip and I'm on board. I hope to get to know the bottle a little more this weekend. If you're reading this kind neighbor, THANK YOU! :puffy:
(I also told him to browse this site for knowledge and community, no idea if he's on here)

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Very nice. And yes, Knob Creek is pretty good stuff. Goes well with a bowl of just about anything.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Spartan
Good show! You were not only generous with your supplies, but your time as well.
Knob Creek is up there with many of my favorite bourbons.
Very nice way of saying 'thank you'.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm a whiskey drinker myself but I haven't tried that yet. Other than that, a great story and perhaps another pipe smoker to the flock.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Love to hear stuff like this. Good for you Spartan. Going the extra mile has hopefully garnered a new friend, and a pipe-smoking one at that

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Great story. Knob Creek is going to be my next bottle. The last guy I gave a "starter pack" to gifted me Maker's Mark". I enjoyed that quite a bit.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Great story. It goes to show that being friendly to your neighbours makes everyones life better!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'll be having a glass of it and a pipe after I get home. Just finished watching the walking dead on AMC. If you guys haven't seen it yet... its sooooooooooooooo good!
Hot damn the season finale tonight was incredible. Still watching the talking dead.
Can't wait to get home for a nice whiskey before bed.
Hope your weekend was relaxing everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.