PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
After seeing the discussions about George Sidney (who I'd never heard of) here on the Forum I decided to check into the pipes and the man. I quickly found that he directed Viva Las Vegas with Elvis and that he lived and then passed way in Vegas. I was sold. Then while I was looking on eBay for a Dunhill, not a George Sidney pipe, I came across this Dunnie that was owned by George Sidney and decided I'd look closer at the pipe. It's a little long for my smoking style BUT it's a George Sidney Prince of Wales Dunhill from 1935. Evidently it was a Vernon Tenon converted over to a traditional tenon, which is fine. I think the main reason I wanted it was so that now the pipe is back home in Vegas. Either way, here's the photo's from the listing. I'll have it in my hot little hands this Friday.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
That's quite nice. I had a long prince of Wales once-not a Dunhill-about that length or a tad longer. Unfortunately the tenon snapped. Wasn't worth fixing but would like to have a long P of W again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very cool. I bet you'll be smoking that one more than you think, despite the length. I bet she only weighs in around 35 grams. Looks pretty solid from those pix.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Al, the dimensions are.......Length 6 1/4 inches; Bowl Height 1 1/2 inches; Inside Depth 1 1/4 inches; Inside Diameter 7/8 inch; Weight 1.25 ounces or 35 grams.
Nice eye Al, nice eye.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I posted the Ben Wade pipe that has the same stamp of George Sidney. It appears your pipe was also stamped by Al Kramer owner of Kramers Pipe store in Hollywood. I have written them to see if they have any information in their old files about Mr. Sidney or the pipes he may have purchased or had stamped there. Very interesting to place these elegant pipes with their owner. Yours is truly a beautiful pipe and a great piece of history. Hoppes

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's a lovely pipe, Tim.
Just looked up George Sidney on IMDB and he directed some of the best musicals that ever came out of Hollywood: Kiss Me Kate, Showboat, Pal Joey and Annie Get Your Gun. (I'm guessing he and Howard Keel might've been friends.)
Nicely done, pal.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.