PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
Yea I know, George who?
Over the last few years there’s been a surge of outstanding pipes coming out of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries by makers such as Roman Kovalev (Doctor’s Pipes), Vladimir Grechukhin, Alexander Tupitsyn, Aleksić Dragomir (Alexa), Sergei Senatorov, Kolyo Demirev and yes, George Boyadjiev among others. I’ve picked up a few pipes from the lesser known makers, including an unusual olivewood sandblast, and all share very good to excellent workmanship and smoking quality at a very reasonable price.
27450829270_334bf374bc_c.jpg

27728911825_0907937be9_c.jpg

My latest is this lovely quarter bent acorn with horn shank accent by George Boyadjiev of Bulgaria. George lives in Sofia and began making pipes about ten years ago when he bought a predrilled kit by Mark Tinsky which sparked his pipemaking passion. He is largely self-taught, relying on the internet, pipemaking forums and past mistakes as guides. Looks like he learned his lessons well.
27695150946_4429eef0f8_c.jpg

27654381591_7d0438fe2b_c.jpg

I had never heard of George or seen any of his pipes until I came across them on the website of the Pfeifenkonsulat, an old pipe shop in Vienna that was featuring George Boyadjiev’s work. This one is a B grade (second highest) which cost about $270 including expedited shipping from Austria. Quite amazing for an entirely handmade pipe of this quality. Until recently, George obtained his briar from Greece but he now sources it from Italy, including Mimmo’s legendary briar. His stems are hand-cut from high-quality German ebonite rod stock but he also uses acrylic and Cumberland stock on occasion.
27654381391_e631e56504_c.jpg

27728911875_9cc7c38d88_c.jpg

I’ve always liked this shape and the design has a nice Danish feel to it. Fit, finish and stemwork are all first-rate with the stem and shank fitted with a Delrin tenon and mortice. Higher-end pipes with horn shank extensions are usually fitted with a bronze or silver band around the horn’s mortice to offer additional strength and protect the horn from cracking. That’s about the only design feature lacking on an otherwise meticulously crafted pipe and not something one would expect to see at this price level.
26476165961_4407bf4d58_c.jpg

26269361370_0b4347862a_c.jpg

The stem is cut nice and thin and is incredibly comfortable; one of the most comfortable I’ve come across. At 6.5 inches long and a bowl height of 2.25 inches it’s a goodly-sized piece and weighs in at about 60g. The thin stem and perfect balance make for a very easy and comfortable clencher. It’s one of the few pipes nowadays that doesn’t have a pre-carbonized or coated chamber so it may take a bit longer to break in. The drilling is spot-on dead center with a nice open draw. The pipe smoked surprisingly well right out of the box and should only get better with time.
26476165981_d1b94e7bbe_c.jpg

27450829030_acd162e739_c.jpg

I’m really impressed with this pipe. Beautiful styling, excellent finish and great smoking qualities. What’s more to want, especially at this price? George is a maker to watch and I’m pretty sure this won’t be the only Boyadjiev in my collection.
27695150376_d9d3a2938f_c.jpg

• Love
Reactions: isaac liu

cullansghost

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
A veritable beauty. In the fourth pic down, the bottom of the shank has the illusion of reptile-like scales. Truly stunning, in both shape and finish. Enjoy her, she was made for it.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
He is great pipe maker. My first commissioned pipe was made by him.

An Grade A apple.I was lucky to find him for my first commission, because during that periode, last year if not mistaken, he was celebrating 10 year and he gave 20% discount on of his pipes.

And This is my second pipe from him. A Grade B Blowfish.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quite amazing. I don't blame you for photographing it from different angles; there's a lot to show off. That grain and finish is one of a kind. Save these photos for our periodic posts asking if artisanal pipes are worth their price. I love my standard brand pipes and enjoy them regularly, but nothing at all like this.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Bump.
Nice pipe. I've just stumbled across George's pipes. The airway in the stem looks really tight. How does the airway compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.