PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
When I saw this pipe on ebay, I knew I had to have it. So what's so special about this little poker? First of all, this GBD is made in France. So what, big deal. But most importantly, it's stamped Orly! Yeah, the airport in Paris, again so what. Ok, here's the somewhat embarrassing part. Orley, (spelling a little different, pronounced the same) is a nickname I've had since 1969. I got this nickname by thinking that all kids listened to Little Orley 78rpm records in the late 40s and early 50s, and mentioned it to the guys I worked with. They thought I was nuts, and started calling me Orley. You can Google Little Orley to get the details, but they were records with stories about a little kid named Orley, as told by "Uncle Lumpy", who was Hugh Brannum, who was also "Mr. Green Jeans" on Captain Kangaroo. A side note: Hugh was a pipe smoker too! Are you confused now? Anyway, this nickname has followed me ever since, and to this day, my wife still calls me Orley about 50% of the time. I know this is a fairly weak reason for buying a pipe, but I had never seen one stamped Orly before, and I've bought pipes for far less important reasons than this. I figure these were probably made to be sold at the Orly airport.
Ok, the other reason I like this pipe is that it is the same shape as the very first pipe I bought over 30 years ago. I was told that it was a Savinelli second, and as I got more into pipes, I later looked up the shape and it looked to be a Savinelli shape. No bid deal, it's a good smoking pipe so I've never had the urge to get rid of it. But here I was, buying the second only poker shape I've ever owned, not counting MM cobs. And on top of that I'm coming up on my one year anniversary in Nov. of being a member on the site.
So yeah, it's a special pipe to me, in spite of its little pits and dings, and it cleaned up real nice. I left it a natural finish because that's kind of how it was to begin with.

Maybe it's time to change my avatar/user name from agnosticpipe to orley. Any thoughts? Or does anyone really care.... :lol:
As usual, I forgot to take before pics, so here's a couple from the seller's auction page.

_57-1-600x337.jpg

_57-600x337.jpg

Here's the pipe after the clean up, followed by a pic of the GBD along side my original Sav second poker from 1982.

img_0157-600x353.jpg

img_0160-600x342.jpg

img_0162-600x434.jpg

K

klause

Agnostic, great story - I think I followed it - and a cracking pipe. You did a great job cleaning it up - it looks brand new - superb.
I hope it brings you many, many years of pleasure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, nice work! I've seen a few of those Orley pipes, they pop up from time to time, a neat twist for your, your namesake as it were!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Great job on the finish. I have trouble getting a lighter stain to shine like that!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
You did a great job! That is a nice looking pipe. They both are. As for the name change, I say go ahead. I think it's neat having a pipe with your name on it.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Great refin! And cool story too - thanks.
Unfortunately, to get a pipe named akin to my nicknames over the years I'd need to find a carver named D!ckhead or U. Moron or some such... :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for the feedback guys! I smoked some FM On the Town in it yesterday, and was impressed by the full easy draw. It has a rather small bowl, but I like having some pipes with smaller bowls, as I don't have too many.
Sparks and jonnyreb, I don't have a shop at all. But I do have an old fashioned photo darkroom that I use on occasion for my pipe projects. I bought a small 1700 rpm motor at a swap meet about 25 years ago, and put a tapered spiral mount on the motor shaft. I have a few different buffing wheels 4-6 inches that I just spin on and off the spiral shaft to use different buffing compounds or wax. White diamond compound gives the shine, along with some carnauba wax. That and an assortment of sandpaper, some 0000 steel wool and micro mesh pads are all I use for the most part. I recently got a motor from a treadmill someone was throwing out that is a 1750rpm, so I'll have a back up if needed.
Does anyone know how to date a GBD? I can't seem to find much on line, probably because there is no good way to date them. But I did read that GBD quit using the brass logo on the stem in 1981. True or not?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Great job on the refurb and telling the story. I like when we get the thought process from someone's post. It makes you feel like you were there and somehow involved.
So when will we see the name change to Orley???

Status
Not open for further replies.