PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Hey all,
I was checking Ebay and saw this auction for a GBD meerschaum. Upon closer inspection I really didn't notice any distinguishing GBD markings except for the box and pouch. The rest seem to point to a generic meerschaum made in Turkey. The look up of auctions with the name Hayim Pinhas brings up a few generics. Do you guys think this is a GBD or just a knockoff?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MEERSCHAUM-PIPE-GBD-POUCH-TURKEY-SMOKING-TOBACCO-DISPLAY-/230910537402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3572eba

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
and the plastic bag says made in turkey while the box says made in England...I dont think its real, but I'm no expert

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't bid on that unless you feel like gambling with $20.
I don't know anything about GBD made meerschaums (or if they even exist) but as Chris points out that pipe does NOT appear to belong to that box so you are a) dealing with an ignorant seller or b) dealing with an unscrupulous seller or c) dealing with a lazy seller...
Either way it is not a good idea unless you are just plain curious and satisfied just with the off chance that it is a passable smoker. I'd rather save up my money towards a good meerschaum instead.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I was looking at that one too. It didn't look to me like a bad meer, but it wasn't a GBD.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
VINTAGE MEERSCHAUM PIPE GBD POUCH TURKEY SMOKING TOBACCO DISPLAY....it is what it says,Vintage Meerschaum Pipe,GBD Pouch DISPLAY(It's all in how ya look at it) :wink:

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I hear that. I think I went in with the mindset of what I wanted it to be vs what it really was. Luckily I read that eBay thread and investigated further rather than jumping the gun. One of the reasons I love this site and all it's participants. Informed people keeping me from making stupid decisions.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
When I first got into pipe smoking in the early 70's my local B&M stocked a large selection of Hayim Pinhas pipes. Pinhas also used to advertise in national magazines - way, way back in the classified sections - and his pipes seemed well made.
That paragraph just about exhausted my knowledge of meerschaum pipery but I thought it worth sharing. Pinhas was a pretty big deal at one time and I'd certainly consider buying one of his pipes some day.
See this link: http://www.pinhas.com.tr/sayfalar_Eng.asp?b=icerik&KatID=2&ID=7
Fnord

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If I remember right, GBD had meerschaums, but they were African block made on the Isle of Man in the same factory that made the Peterson Meerschaums. This ended in the 70s and of course, African Meer is no more. I'm not aware of any Turkish GBD Meerschaums.
Edit: Other companies that used Tanzanian block and had pipes fashioned in the Isle of Man were Barling, Comoys, and Manxman.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here is a pic of a GBD Meerschaum.
GBD_75.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.