PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I sold a painting yesterday and decide to treat myself to some tobacco and take my husband out for dinner. He still thinks it's hot that I smoke a pipe and keeps telling me how much better I smell. Anyway there's a decent shop in town near our favorite restaurant so off we went.

We get inside and a bunch of me are sitting around smoking cigars and watching sports and talking. The clerk comes around the counter and sees me looking at the pipes, my poor nonsmoking husband is just standing there. The clerk asks him if he wants to see any of the pipes and how they have a new shipment in so if he's looking for something specific they may have it. My husband says he's just there with me. Finally the clerk looks down at me.

The shock on his face was priceless, but to be fair he's only about 20-25 so I'm sure a lot of things shock him.

I'm 5'2" tall and a little heavy with short hair and a big hickory stick. I'm 35 but everyone says I look younger. My husband is 6' and built like a wall. He's the one you would normally think smokes. He hates smoking and makes me do it outside.

I was just there for some tobacco but, I couldn't help messing with the poor clerk, I asked to see the biggest pipe in the case. It was a churchwarden with a bowl that was almost bigger than my palm. I think it was at least 10" long. All the men in the place stared at that point, even my poor husband. The place was silent except for the TVs. I looked like a child holding that thing and laughed at the way it looked and gave it back. Conversations restarted and all went back to normal.

The clerk kindly pulled out a box of mini churchwardens for me to see. They were cute, but seemed flimsy so I passed.

I got a few ounces of different kinds to try and left the clerk a tip in his jar. They did have some nice looking pipes and I'll definitely have to go back soon.

I would call it a successful second trip to a real tobacco shop. :rofl:

They weren't rude, just shocked that I smoke a pipe. I'm still so new at it that I'll take my little pipe into the bathroom to admire the way it looks still. I'm such a dork.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Pictures or it didn't happen.
I can see by your trip to the B&M that you'll have many more interesting pipe stories for us.
Thanks for the story!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Good for you! Unfortunately, I'm guessing you'll have the chance to "shock" the clerks at every pipe shop you walk into! :)
I used to work at a Tinder Box back in the mid-80s. I still remember how shocked all of the guys there were when a woman walked in with her pipe and wanted a pound of straight latakia! She just smiled and said that that was all she ever smoked. (Only one or two of us had ever been brave enough to even try straight latakia.)
I'm sorry to say, though, that in my five years at the shop, she was the only woman I ever met who smoked a pipe. Glad we're seeing some women here.
Bob

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I should have taken pics! I was too busy trying to keep a straight face though. I'll try next time I go. It was a Nording churchwarden. It was really pretty.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Eib I grew up with some Cajun women smokeing pipes, my Fathers mother smoked cigars in her pipe, I believe they were Have-A-Tampas cut and smoked in her pipe, working in the rice fields I pulled many indigo with her, that was before the planes sprayed, my grandfather on my mothers side had an old Aunt that lived with them, she smoked Prince Albert, she would give us the cans to play with, not too many toys in those days, I grew up not thinking anything strange about a woman smokeing a pipe. The old cajun

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
My favorite local tobacconist is a woman. I bought cigars from her for years. I went to her for advice when I started smoking pipes. Her advice has been spot on! I have never asked her how many of her pipe or cigar customers are women. Think I will next time I'm in her shop.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing that story. My wife goes with to the smoke shops and she goes right to the pipe displays, cigar humidor and the clerks talk to me. I bought her a pipe for Christmas and she smokes once in a while but not comfortable smoking in the shop with the guys all around.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I don't want them uncomfortable, just stirred a bit. They actually seemed curious about me. Although quilting makes me uncomfortable; that needle is sharp and I can only knit scarves. :wink:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good yarn. Thanks.
(Only one or two of us had ever been brave enough to even try straight latakia.)
I tried some once, ages and ages ago. All I remember is that it was a real pain to keep lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.