PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Memphis Tennessee

The land of 80% or more humidity for at least 9 months. No B&M. Just glass pipes and the rankest smelling Tinder Box in all the nation.

On a high note, plenty of opportunities for defensive shooting situations. Beware the prepared man.

Oh and the supersized Bass ProShop in the Pyramid downtown is pretty awesome. Plus a chance to reload!

My slice of heaven!

Intentional mild sarcasm applicable sometimes.

Especially the last 2 lines.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome to the forum.
The only time I stopped in Memphis, I hit BB King's place for a drink and had to stick my head out the door every few minutes to make sure the wheels were still on the car. That was in '95.
jay-roger.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome from the SF Bay Area. Yo, how could you eave out "Home of the King Jerry Lawler?"
Your "praise" of your hometown aside, I actually have a couple of friends who went out there for work and came back raving about Memphis. They said it was awesome. Good food, good places to drink and listen to music, everything way more affordable than here. As a result, Memphis is one of those cities I've had a positive perception of despite never having visited myself. But maybe my friends were just drunk.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
It’s not as bad as it may come across at times. Still heavily segregated in places.

The only place I’ve seen where there are multi-million dollar homes literally next door to absolute slums.

Crime and poverty rates are high, but mostly localized. You just have to know where you shouldn’t be.

Nothing to do with race.

Everything to do with mentality.

Thanks for the responses!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome to the forum! We're music fans (me blues/rock/soul, wife Elvis), so we visit Memphis every couple of years. I've had some great BBQ there over the years, where do the locals go? Picked up a jacket at Lansky's on the last trip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from Central N.C. Along with New Orleans, New York, Chicago, and MIssissippi, Memphis is one of the cradles of the blues and rock'n'roll.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Personally I’m more of a funk kind of guy. But always great live music of many flavors downtown on Beale Street. The police have recently started blocking it off, searching everyone and charging a cover just to walk on a public street. Kind of a pain in the ass but has helped a bit with the robberies, burglaries, beggars, shootings and stabbings.
BBQ in Memphis? About as many BBQ joints as churches and Walgreens. I judge them by how good a slab of dry rub ribs are. Skip the tourist traps that are The Rendezvous and Central BBQ. Near downtown, The BBQ Shop off of Madison has great ribs and onion rings. Fat Larry’s on the east side of town is awesome. They do a smoked prime rib(beef) that melts in your mouth and is stupid good! Ty’s Smokehouse in Bartlett is my personal favorite. The ribs, turkey and brisket are beyond amazing. The Commisary in Germantown on the southeast side is very good also, you have to run early though. They only have about 10 tables and parking for 5 cars. Do not park in the wrong place or a funky way cuz the cops are “aggressive” and expensive. . Same in Bartlett. 6 mph over is $90 and no one will ever get out of paying! Going to court just adds more to the fine. Hundreds of hole in the wall places that look terrible but put out some kickass food. Skip the chain restaurants and the ones that have a drive-thru window.
PM hen you’re coming to town. Maybe we can meet up for dinner somewhere.
Thanks for listening!

Al

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Policing in high crime tourist areas can be impossible and sour people on a destination for years or forever. My late wife, when she was young and before I met her, accepted a ride with a group, the driver of which was irresponsible and got the whole group in a difficult situation after the Kentucky Derby in Louisville. She spent a crappy night in the tank with other women in her group, obviously a crowd management problem by the local police who may have had every good intent. No good intent from me. My historical rejection of Louisville is fierce and permanent. I have never and will never visit the place or do anything else to support or benefit it. I watch the Derby for the horse race, but the city, no. So cities should take this into account. The public memory is long, strong, arbitrary, and unforgiving. If Louisville has any citizenry that could rise to the level of my late wife, I'd be most surprised, and if so, they should get busy on the civic behavior. Irrational on my part, but honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.