PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Hiplainsdrifter was kind enough to send me some samples, so first and foremost I would like to say thank you. The generosity was much appreciated and just goes to show the good nature of folks around here. All he asked was that I let him know what I thought and to pay it forward, which I will be happy to do whenever possible. So here are my thoughts on the blends, hopefully others might find something new they like as well.
Vincent Manil, La Brumeuse Samois - Hiplains had informed me he had a love affair going with this tobacco (hope I didn't blow your cover) and I can see why. It is somewhat like a fling, it's new, different, exciting. It does seem dry at first but reading up on it, I left it dry and packed it firmly. I often dislike Burly when it ventures into the cigar territory but this was something else. It is dry and earthy, so I can see the cigar comparison but it's not quite the same. I guess I can see the flavor being closer to Burley than most but there is a floral note to it and something about the taste that clearly sets it apart. The tobacco isn't complex but there is a lot to savor in the flavor it does possess. I think every pipe smoker should try this tobacco. Even if you dislike Burley or straight tobacco flavor, as those are things I am not normally looking for but I'm glad I tried it anyway and it surprised me.
L.J Peretti, Tashkent - Often when I see spicy English in a description, it does not sound appealing. I generally like a smooth presentation from an English but this mixture was calling to me from the tin note alone. Smoking it, it was clearly oriental forward and started out very Turkish but with a nice base of smokiness from the Lat (not Lat heavy though, in any way). As I smoked I got less Lat, although it was still there and that piquant sour taste introduced itself, lightly dancing around the spiciness. Despite being spicier, this is a mellow and smooth smoke. Not at all what I am used to but a very well designed and executed blend. I am excited to venture into this new area and there is no doubt the blenders at Peretti excel in their chosen field. I don't know if this will ever be heavy in my rotation but I will keep some available for when the urge strikes. I am anxious to get more acquainted with the blend.
L.J. Peretti, London Flake - While not as exciting as the two previous, this is good tobacco. The Virginia's present what you hope and expect from yellow and orange, smooth flavor with hints of citrus and the Perique does its job adding a bit of tang but otherwise leaves the Va to do its thing. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable casings but as I have recently been made aware, few tobacco blends are truly completely free of additions. Besides the classic VaPer flavor for a blend light on the Perique, I can't find a great deal of descriptors. Grassy, hay, nutty, citrus all fit at times but my lack of prose should be taken as a compliment. This is VaPer and it doesn't need to be anything else. Another fine blend from Peretti, whom I will be paying more attention to now.
Fribourg & Treyer, Cut Virginia Plug - Another clear cut, good tobacco being exactly what it is supposed to be. The room note has a light hint of vanilla and something else I can't quite place. There is a hint of citrus but it doesn't seem like citrus topping. It smokes like a good light Va should but there are times when the citrus comes across with an almost sweet lactic edge, making for a creaminess. Despite this, it never presents like an aro that has been flavored to do so. Once in a while the slightest spice but nothing obtuse or biting. Another great Va flake to add to the few I like already. I would place this one between Mac Baren Va #1 and Newminster 400, being a little more cased than #1 but not as heavily as 400 but niether #1 or Cut Virginia Plug come across as flavored.
Esoterica Tobacciana, Penzance - I was, of course, very excited to try this flake. Both the included description and the look of the flakes indicated some good aging on the tobacco. The tin note was a bit musty with equal doses of sweet and smokey. It rubbed and loaded better than any flake I have experienced to date (no attempt to smoke folded yet). Rather than get poetic, those reviews are easy to find, I find myself comparing it to me favorite beer. Like Anchor Brewing Company's Liberty Ale, it isn't so much about something that stands out but instead how everything is done perfectly. Simultaneously rich and robust while smooth and easy on the tongue, there is deep complexity but in the form of subtle understatement, range and balance. All the key players do their thing but as a mix bring something extra to the game in the way they marry together and support one another. It's not something that jumps out of the bowl and slaps you with it's essence, it's something that I appreciated in every consecutive sip and the variance that came with. Seducing you, gently leading you along the primrose path. So if you are expecting a magical leaf grown in Unicorn scat, you may well be disappointed. If you are looking for an incredibly good English that has complexity, personality and balance in spades, you will likely be hard pressed (my first flake pun) to find a better candidate. Assuming you can find any at all, that is. I think I ended up getting a little poetic anyways (in my own amateurish fashion at least) but the right tobacco makes it hard not to.
Another big thank you to hiplainsdrifter, for giving me the chance to see what the fuss was about with Penzance and helping me identify a few more for the cellar. Trying these blends was both exciting and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.