Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Am about to put in a tobacco order, and I have never tried a Va/Per before. I know I have gotten advice on this subject here before, but to begin my potential "adventure" I just want enough tobacco to get a good idea. Had considered McClelland St. James Woods, but, rather than buying a tin of it, would an ounce of McClelland 2015 give me as good an idea of what Va/Per is all about?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My recommendations for an intro to VaPers are to get a tin of Escudo and a tin of Marlin Flake. The reasons are twofold. First, because these two contrasting blends will give you the full range of VaPer flavor from spicy (Escudo) to stewed plummy (Marlin). Second because these blends are so popular that you won't have any problem trading in the rare event you don't like them.
If you are set on only ordering a 1 oz bulk sample, I would recommend Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. McClelland makes some good VaPers, and I enjoy St James Woods. But I think they are a poor introduction to the style due to the distinct McClelland fermented Virginia tang. That taste and aroma (that many describe as ketchupy) detract, IMO, from the fundamental VaPer experience and can overshadow the nuances of the blend style.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
I would recommend Pease's Telegraph Hill as good intro. I would +1 for Escudo do too its easy too trade if you dont like. Its not one of my favorites fresh but age is very good.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
These are all excellent suggestions, and in the name of over complicating things, I would also recommend GL Pease Fillmore, Hearth & Home Louisiana Red, and Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake.
In a couple of words for each:

Fillmore: fairly hearty, yet mellow

LA Red: a little spicy, but reminds me of sweet biscuits for some reason.

Anni Kake: Sweet/spicy/rich. Almost tastes chocolatey to me. A favorite.
Also, you'd mentioned St James Woods, that happens to be another favorite of mine. McClelland Virginias are unique, to be sure, but I think you'd be remiss to not try them.
Off topic (slightly), McClelland's Dark Star is a straight Virginia flake that takes a little practice and getting used to, but it's ended up one of my favorite VA's.
Enjoy your exploration!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think there are two distinct "types" of Va/Pers. The most common is "Peppery" and I think the gold standard is Escudo. People may think there are better ones (I actually prefer St James Flake) but it's been the go-to for decades for conversations about the style.
The other less common type is more focused on "stewed fruit". I think Marlin Flake is a great example but a good type that is readily available in bulk is H&H Anni Kake.
I like McC stuff too but I agree with the above that's not the best intro to the style. In particular, the 2015 is good but it doesn't taste as developed as the St James Woods to me so I'd hate to tell you to start with a sub-optimal choice.
A 50g tin of Escudo and 1 oz of Anni Kake wouldn't be too expensive. The best part is that if you don't like it, then you can throw it in a jar and 6mo to a 1 yr later, it's a different tobacco. After that, if you don't like it, then plenty of people will trade around with you. I'd be happy to as I can never have enough it.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I can't argue with Escudo either. I would buy 3 tins if I were you. One to try now as you're learning and developing your palette, and two to lay down for a while.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning, one of the best Virginia/Perique's (Va/Per) out there.
Get an ounce or two to be sure. You will not regret it.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
zekest said:

Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning, one of the

best Virginia/Perique's (Va/Per) out there.
Get an ounce or two to be sure.

You will not regret it.
+1 on that suggestion ... Bayou Morning is one of my favorites and I'm a VA/Per hound ...
Another suggestion you could get in small increments is 4noggins Prairie Wind ... it too is one of my favorites.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Here's a question then, what would be considered the spiciest or the most pepper-est of the VaPer blends?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Shortyeastcoast:
IMHO, McClelland Beacon Extra is a Perique blast, of the peppery rather than stewed fruity sort. However, the overall experience is ever-so-slightly diminished by that McClelland Virginia tang. I do like this tobacco. However, for me, Escudo is the pinnacle of the peppery side of Perique - just a perfect combination of gorgeous Virginias with a straightforward, spicey Perique goodness.
Some others on the peppery side:
GL Pease Fillmore - robust Perique but an overall smooth, creamy, thick blend.

GL Pease Haddo's Delight - a hybrid rather than a true VaPer, but a showcase of stout Perique

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (especially good when aged)

McClelland's St James Woods and Blakeney's Best Bayou Slices

GL Pease Telegraph Hill

Another hybrid, though a good example of peppery Perique, Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
An ounce of McClelland 2015 is a good starting place for VaPer blends IMO.

I would also recommend an ounce of:

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake,

pipesandcigars.com Hearth and Home LJ Heart Virginia

Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning as an intro to VaPers.

For about $14 plus shipping, you will have a great spectrum of "beginner" VaPers.

If one is just getting into VaPers, I personally would be hesitant to recommend a blend with too much perique.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I just opened a tin of Blakeney's Acadiana Ribbon this weekend and have smoke two bowls so far. I find it less flavorful than Frog Morton On The Bayou. Warning; my opnion may change after I get into smoking it a little more. I am going to order some Escudo as I do like the Va/Perique blend.
I am trying to get the address in St James Parish where Perique is grown. The location is just north of New Orleans and I drive through St James all the time. If I go there this Spring, I'll take pictures and post them if they have tobacco standing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A helpful thread from a month ago, Piqued by Perique, is worth reading. Here's my earlier post.
John, if you're about to put in an order, consider using 4noggins. In the comments section of the order form, ask Rich Gottlieb for a sample of Prairie Wind, as suggested by sfsteves.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One more recommendation (if you don't mind) would be Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. During my own introduction to Va/Per blends, the two "Oh, wow!" moments that I had were trying LBF for the first time, and trying Escudo for the first time. The McClelland 2015 was pleasant, and I did make it through the 2 oz. sample that I bought pretty quickly, while the LNF was my first adventure in cube-cutting, but of the Va/Pers that I've tried so far, it's been LBF and Escudo that I've purchased more of afterwards...

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@phred (or anyone) think you might give us a compare/contrast of Escudo Vs. Luxury Bullseye?
Seems like lots of folks think they are the same blend, or at least really REALLY close.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Shorty - There is a world of difference between the two. An obvious difference is that LBF has black cavendish in the center. Escudo does not. After that, it's more subjective but I hold that the virginias are nicer in Escudo and it's got much more perique in it as well.
Another small difference is that I think LBF needs some time to age whereas Escudo is pretty nice from the beginning. Also, I can vouch for Escudo aging wonderfully for over 10 years. I still have to wait a little on the LBF to compare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.