PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well this was a first for me. I was walking home from my weekly acupuncture session, swimming trunks in one hand, walking cane in the other and the MM Twain Cob with plum Forever Stem filled with Ashton Brindle Flake puffing away when this black Acura SUV pulled up and stopped. Inside was a mom and perhaps late teen, or just nudging 20, daughter who looks at me and asks "can it take your picture with you smoking your pipe?"
I said "uh, sure" and she whipped out her cellphone and snaps the shot. With the widest grin on her face she says "thank you very much." I told her she was welcome and they drove off. I noticed the plates were from NJ and wondered if they never saw anyone smoking a pipe in NJ.
Anyhow this is what she got.
34687717592_f3dfa3204b_z_d.jpg

banjo

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm sure Sasquatch has been seen more times here in Oregon than a pipe smoker! I'm sure it's pretty much the same where you are, fishnbanjo. Next time you should charge for the pose!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You should of charged her a dollar. :puffy:

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
In a day and age where pants around your knees and vaping is the norm, the quiet dignity and visual of a person with a hat and pipe has become (sadly) a rarity. I would say you had the fortune to run into a person who wanted to preserve the moment for posterity.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Cripes! I only hope I don't end up on a T-shirt with my mug plastered on it saying I went to Maine and all I got was this T-shirt with some old fart on it smoking a pipe.

banjo

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good work flying the flag of pipe smoking! Also you made some art student happy, which keeps them out of trouble.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fish, I think you've earned your Picturesque Merit Badge. I hailed a pipe smoker in the grocery parking lot, thinking to talk pipes, and he retreated as if he'd seen the devil. Probably afraid I was going to complain about his smoking.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's probably the greatest story I've heard in a while! The perfect guy for the picture! And with a beautiful cob none the less! Awesome...

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
She was probably somehow attracted to the sophistication and manliness of the gent standing before her... heehee great pic :)

twosheds1

Lurker
Oct 20, 2016
I was out walking and smoking on my lunch hour the other day and got some admiring looks. I assume because of the pipe, not me personally. No photos, though!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo banjo
Good on you! The only times strangers have asked to snap my pic have been while ffishing. This has happened several times, and once a TV crew from a small town station videoed (sp?) me for the nightly news. Obviously there were no disasters or more newsworthy stories that day. The only comments I've evoked while piping have come from kids calling me Sherlock.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.