PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So I am thinking of what I want to smoke tonight so I grab my tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. I open to see there is only one flake left and not enough for a full bowl. I grab my tin of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake that I know is pretty low and I figure that between the two I can get a full bowl. I cube cut them both and fill one of my Rad Davis Lovats and fire it up. I have never mixed two blends 50/50 before and it is an interesting smoke. The sweetness of the BCDF kinds of tames the strength and smokiness of the ODF. I like it but am not sure if I would mix them again unless I was in the same position as tonight. I know a bunch of you guys do all kinds of mixing but this is my first attempt. I kind of feel like I am cheating on each one of my favorites.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bob, it was totally out of character for me tonight. lol
roth, I feel that when someone puts their heart and soul into a blend it should be smoked as is. Now that I am almost done with this bowl I probably will not mix these two again. It was like a duel of competing flavors and no one won. From now on I will just open a tin of the same blend when I cannot fill a bowl.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I'm just not that into tobacco mixology. I do the Wall/Hall thing and like it. Other than that, I will leave it to the talented few who have a passion for it and do it well.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
My thoughts on this are similar to those on a good scotch, these people are professionals that get payed well to mix and make something I want, who am I to say I can do it better? I am glad you had an enjoyable smoke though :)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
cigrmaster, welcome to the world of mixing!
I like mixing, under the right circumstance. In the same way that I feel it is an minor insult to add salt, pepper or other spices to food before eating a few bites, I feel that one shouldn't mix a tobacco initially. However, once I have tried an ounce of a tobacco and reached the point where I've begun to appreciate what the blender was trying to achieve mixing is an option for me.
I will shamelessly add CH to tone down an aromatic down, some Red Cake 5100 to add more VA to almost anything, or mix a small amount of two blends 50%/50% just to see what will happen. Frankly, mixing in this way helps me appreciate the blender's art and the difficulty involved in creating a balanced blend. Most of my two blend mixtures are not things I would want to repeat, while adding CH or Red Cake 5100 almost always seems to work out well.
Only about 25% of my daily rotation is aromatics, but my favorite blend mixture so far is something I'm calling the Blue Prince. Its PA mixed in equal quantities with Dan's Blue Note. The slight chocolate and nuttiness from the PA seems to add depth to the vanilla and results in a smoke tat I find more enjoyable than either by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.