Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

A Few Words About Bothy Flake

(11 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently ordered a few new tobaccos to try, and went for some that were a little different from what I've been smoking. This isn't going to be a review as such, because I'm not real good at putting into words what I taste in tobaccos.

Bothy Flake has become one of my new favorite smokes though. I believe it's rather new, and after reading a little about it I decided that it would be one I would like. It's made by Samuel Gawith, and is a result of the "chaps" from the Kearvaig Pipe Club in Scotland. They have their "moots" or meetings in these Bothies, which are rudimentary shelters in out of the way remote spots around Scotland. The reason being that they are not policed as places that smoking is prohibited. You really have to read their news letters to fully understand the wonderful craziness of this club.

Anyway, this is a really nice flake tobacco comprised of Virginias and Latakia leaf topped with a little Scotch flavor. I wouldn't call it an aromatic tobacco necessarily, but you can detect the nice peaty flavor of the Scotch in the background. I love the way the flavors of the tobaccos and Scotch meld together for a wonderful rich smoke. Pair it with you favorite whisky and it becomes one of those aha moments. I've smoked a few bowls of this and I seem to want to keep coming back to it more and more. I've tried many flake tobaccos, but this is something quite different. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the delicate sweetness of Virginia and the smokey flavor of Latakia and of course Scotch whisky. Needless to say this will not be to everyones liking.

I found it went well in my old 30 year old Sasieni Supurb Six Dublin that I have recently started smoking more and more. Kind of an oddball pipe, but I guess I forgot how great it smokes. Hopefully you'll find some pleasure in this unique smoke.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comments, have been wondering about this one. I will add a tin to my next order.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to hear! Yes I've been waiting for this to arrive on our shores since I first heard about it. I agree, one needs to read the KPC newsletter to get a true sense of what these guys get up to......

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley, I think you made an excellent review of this product. Sam Gawith should pay you in tobacco.
    You've described the blend, its origins, and its appearance. You even gave it the thumbs up!
    Nice review, thanks.
    mike

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

6. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comments guys, and also jimbo for posting the links for the KPC. I've read about half of their news letters online so far, and they're so much fun! Seeing as how we're not familiar with a lot of Scottish terminology or UK history, trying to separate fact from fiction can be an interesting challenge. Between the WWII history, their "Pipe Babes" and "coonsilling", they will keep you entertained. Samuel Gawith did right giving them their own blend. Read on chaps!

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. mranglophile

Mr. Anglophile

Login to Send PM

great post...cant wait to try it being a SG fanboy like I am.

Michael - Poulsb, WA

Pipes are not like cars. A Chevy cannot drive like a Mercedes, but the lowly Stanwell can smoke like the lofty Chonowitsch, even though the latter far exceeds the Stanwell in beauty, grain, and craftsmanship. It is the briar and not the brand. There is no place for elitism among pipe smokers. - Fred Hanna
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I like a good peaty scotch, this one sounds like it will fit nicely in my rotation!

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the post, the link(s) and the picture.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bump

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After smoking about a half tin of this I've decided I like it quite a bit. The underlying tobaccos are really good (I guess what do you expect from Sam Gawith) but I get more of an apple cider flavor than scotch. If it ever comes up for sale again I will not hesitate to add a few tins to my monthly 401-T contribution.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, 3rdguy, burleyboy