PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I recently ordered a few new tobaccos to try, and went for some that were a little different from what I've been smoking. This isn't going to be a review as such, because I'm not real good at putting into words what I taste in tobaccos.
Bothy Flake has become one of my new favorite smokes though. I believe it's rather new, and after reading a little about it I decided that it would be one I would like. It's made by Samuel Gawith, and is a result of the "chaps" from the Kearvaig Pipe Club in Scotland. They have their "moots" or meetings in these Bothies, which are rudimentary shelters in out of the way remote spots around Scotland. The reason being that they are not policed as places that smoking is prohibited. You really have to read their news letters to fully understand the wonderful craziness of this club.
Anyway, this is a really nice flake tobacco comprised of Virginias and Latakia leaf topped with a little Scotch flavor. I wouldn't call it an aromatic tobacco necessarily, but you can detect the nice peaty flavor of the Scotch in the background. I love the way the flavors of the tobaccos and Scotch meld together for a wonderful rich smoke. Pair it with you favorite whisky and it becomes one of those aha moments. I've smoked a few bowls of this and I seem to want to keep coming back to it more and more. I've tried many flake tobaccos, but this is something quite different. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the delicate sweetness of Virginia and the smokey flavor of Latakia and of course Scotch whisky. Needless to say this will not be to everyones liking.
I found it went well in my old 30 year old Sasieni Supurb Six Dublin that I have recently started smoking more and more. Kind of an oddball pipe, but I guess I forgot how great it smokes. Hopefully you'll find some pleasure in this unique smoke.

img_00113-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great to hear! Yes I've been waiting for this to arrive on our shores since I first heard about it. I agree, one needs to read the KPC newsletter to get a true sense of what these guys get up to......

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Orley, I think you made an excellent review of this product. Sam Gawith should pay you in tobacco.

You've described the blend, its origins, and its appearance. You even gave it the thumbs up!

Nice review, thanks.

mike

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
http://www.kearvaigpipeclub.co.uk/
http://kearvaigpipeclub.co.uk/magazine.html

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for the comments guys, and also jimbo for posting the links for the KPC. I've read about half of their news letters online so far, and they're so much fun! Seeing as how we're not familiar with a lot of Scottish terminology or UK history, trying to separate fact from fiction can be an interesting challenge. Between the WWII history, their "Pipe Babes" and "coonsilling", they will keep you entertained. Samuel Gawith did right giving them their own blend. Read on chaps! :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like a good peaty scotch, this one sounds like it will fit nicely in my rotation!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
After smoking about a half tin of this I've decided I like it quite a bit. The underlying tobaccos are really good (I guess what do you expect from Sam Gawith) but I get more of an apple cider flavor than scotch. If it ever comes up for sale again I will not hesitate to add a few tins to my monthly 401-T contribution.

ehrlich-0915-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.