A Few Steps In Making A Cocobolo & Ebonite Stemmed Pipe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This was an interesting one-thought I would include a few steps in the process...

It starts with a very nice piece of cocobolo with a hole drilled for the ebonite-

2u9r53o.jpg

Ebonite is left oversize at 5/8"- both for strength and because I needed a larger gluing surface than I could get with a 5/16 diameter.

a3crix.jpg

Tenon turned to final size. Using a countersink to ease the transition into the tenon...

egam9t.jpg

At this point,I hope I figured correctly and left enough to carve the shape I was looking for...

oqa8o0.jpg

..and here is the result after some rough shaping...

fn6y6t.jpg

...working on a triangle shape cutaway on the top...

2j18tao.jpg

Closeup of the finished stem...

rri9fk.jpg

...and the pipe is done..

2edpduv.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
That is beautiful! :) I love it Zack. :roll: Must you keep reminding me why you are an artisan and I am a lowly beginner? :clap:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Must you keep reminding me why you are an artisan and I am a lowly beginner?
...but Grasshopper- for a mere $27.50 and a 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, you can attend my world renowned pipe school....:)(...and the truth is- the major benefit of hangin' with some of the best pipe makers in the country at the pipe shows is that I realize how little I know...)

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Beautiful.
Out of curiosity, what type of glue is used to bond the wood to the ebonite?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Zack, you must be a huge sponge to sop up all their collective knowledge. Outstanding sir!!!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
what type of glue is used to bond the wood to the ebonite?
I use a 5 minute epoxy. Couple of tricks due to the oily nature of cocobolo- I wipe it with everclear and let it dry before gluing...I roughen the surface of the ebonite to give it a better grip and I use a larger diameter tenon to make sure there's plenty of gluing surface...

Jan 8, 2013
...but Grasshopper- for a mere $27.50 and a 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, you can attend my world renowned pipe school....:
:D That's a heck of a lot more affordable than what I've heard someone else charges! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.