A few quick questions about storing multiple samples.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I've been using bail-top jars for storing my tobacco. However, I have a bunch of 1 oz. samples coming which begs the question, "What is a good way to store these"? I don't mean cellaring of course, but I have enough on the way (I went a bit nuts) that it'll take some time to rotate through them all.
Is storing the baggies in larger sealed containers ok or will the flavors meld through the plastic? I was also thinking about small sized disposable plastic food storage containers (Glad, generic), but are they airtight enough?
Thanks for your suggestions

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I smoke them all quick enough.
Do seperate Latakia and aromatics from the rest if you are going to store, those scents can pass through plastic.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, odors will mingle, but Latakia (or perique or cavendish or dark anything) won't really affect the smoking taste of other nearby tobaccos to a significant degree. Still, being careful is good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depending on what's available, I will sometimes put several bagged samples in a larger canning jar; this is by no means ideal, but it keeps the small quantities available and yet inhibits moisture loss. Small jelly jars, despite their imperfect seal, will also suffice, assuming you are keeping the samples in regular rotation. It's when you intend to age a blend for several years or more, or much more, that you really want it jarred up with an impenetrable seal. Decide what your plan is and jar accordingly.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
My smoking is erratic to say the least. Sealed jars would be overkill and bags are probably going to be insufficient.
I was thinking something like these would be a good compromise.
81R3z4thLEL._SX522_.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
We can our own fruit and preserves and have quite a collection of jars. Look for 'jelly jars'. They are nice looking and come in very small versions. I think i will dig out a dozen after we move and save/label them for samples.
For reference, this is a 4 ounce jar, other sizes and shapes are available too.
S-19695_1.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I much prefer bags for small quantities (less than two ounces) Jars above will contain too much air, and the glad ones aren't airtight.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I use these from American Science and Surplus. I generally cut off the label from the plastic bags that most samples seem to come in and throw it on top of the tobacco. Since these have clear lids, the label is visible. Recently, I have experimented with some silicone disks which I put directly on top of the tobacco. They form a tight seal, but are somewhat difficult to remove as a result. I think I'm going to start putting a strip of ribbon under the disks to make them easier to remove -- like in a battery compartment.
3" storage containers with clear lids
60301.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The containers I referenced above are about 3" in diameter. They will hold about an ounce of tobacco, but you'll be compressing the tobacco to fit it in. I think that's actually good as it eliminates most of the air. Recently, I bought some silicone disks which I can press in the tin directly on top of the tobacco. The only problem it's that they're a bit of a pain to remove. I'm going to try putting a strip of ribbon underneath next time, like you often see in a battery compartment. I know... overkill.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Mylar Ziploc bags is what I use for samples. Clear/silver kind.

So I can see what it is. I just rip the label of the sampler baggie and mash it on the Mylar bag.
I have read that storing in plastic, can impart a plastic note.
Have a good un'

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
@Nevadablue
I didn't know those jelly jars are so inexpensive. They seem hard to beat:
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Mason-Quilted-Jelly-Bands/dp/B00B80TK2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500384544&sr=8-2&keywords=4+oz+canning+jars

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
For the record, I ordered a dozen of those jelly jars, some removable stickers and a canning funnel. Since my tobacco usage is erratic, I'd rather err on the side of better containers / a better seal. For example, I got greedy, started puffing away and managed to torch my tongue this past Sunday - giving it a few days break.
Many thanks!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yup. Perfect. 4 oz jars are the way to go. That way you are in no hurry to finish samples. Some of mine have 3 years aging on them now. ha ha.

May 4, 2015
Some of mine have 3 years aging on them now. ha ha.
Ha. SAME! I find little jars all the time I forgot about and have accidentally aged for a couple years.
Those are great because they stack well.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Those 4 oz. jelly jars are perfect. But 1 oz. is a somewhat tight fit, depending on the cut. A funnel is mandatory. They claim those labels will dissolve in water. Yeah, terrible handwriting, eh?
0720171919a%201_zpsk9ggytd2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.