PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hello all!
This is my first post in the "Beginner/How-to section after a few posts in the New Members forum. If you check out my posts there, you'll see that I jumped, after being a non-smoker of anything for 60 yrs, with both feet into the pipe smoking community. I've been slowly sampling various blends (which, in the case that I don't like them, will be cellared for re-tasting with age)in both MM cobbs and my 2 Savinelli briars. Working through various non-aromatics to start with, because I would just like to get the feel of the taste of the various tobacco preparations and varieties.
I've found that the entire experiences has been wonderful, very relaxing and very interesting as well.
Initially, I've been going thru:
Orlik Golden Sliced

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

SPC Plum Pudding
Initially, I noticed not much difference between even the Orlik and the Plum Pudding (thinking that the Elizabethan Mixture, as a VaPer, would be closer to the Orlik). In general, I have a very good sense of taste/smell, but I was not noticing many nuances of flavor with which to tell them apart (of course, they all SMELL (tin note) WONDERFUL. However, as time has passed (and not many bowls at all...I'm starting off slow), I have been getting hints of differences. I am reading that this is normal...that it takes a bit of time to adjust and be able to detect the different flavors.
Just smoked a bowl of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (which has an AMAZING tin note), and I THOUGHT that I was able to detect some of the tin note in the actual smoking flavor...and that is DID seem different (tho just a bit) from the other VaPers.
I'm enjoying seeing what difference I can see in small samples...I have some Escudo Deluxe Navy, some GL Pease "Gaslight", and some Dunhill Nightcap in stock to try, as well as some Lane 1Q (my only aromatic). Coming in will be some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, some C&D Black Frigate (YES....Black Frigate), and 2 pipes: A Savinelli Quandale Smooth 315KS, and an AKB Meerschaum Lattice Bent Brandy by Mushsin. That satisfies my pipe needs for a while..and I always did want a churchwarden...
So, at the end of this rambling note, the questions are:
1. Today, and a couple of times before, I noticed a rather "full head" feeling (which I got even after smoking the Dunhill Navy Rolls last night. Last night, I felt that "full head" feeling and a bit of a buzz, as if after several beers. I'm assuming that's my body's unfamiliarity with nicotine. How does this evolve over time?
2. How long does it take to be able to distinguish the various flavors in the various blends? I'm not looking for immediacy, it's the journey after all. Just curious as to how to gauge my progres....I know many say after YEARS they're still learning.
3. Any tips for care of the Meerschaum that are different from my briars? What do you think of the pipes I've selected in this caase? (My other briars are Savinelli Venere 670KS and and Savinelli Professor....Both rusticated.
Enough for now. Enjoy good smoke!
CW
Dunhill Navy Rolls

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ha-ha, yes! You got some Black Frigate!
1-It will become a more relaxed feeling.
2-Some say weeks, others months. It's all up to the individual.
3-Don't allow cake buildup in a meer. It will affect color development and could cause cracking. Never use alcohol on a meer. Your collection thus far sounds like you're off to a great start!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Glad to see you branching out into the realm of the many tobaccos that there are. I want to experience as many of them as I can as well to find out what my tastes really are. At least for now. I can easily answer a few of those questions in my limited experience, but hearing what many others have to say on the topics are always interesting.
1. Today, and a couple of times before, I noticed a rather "full head" feeling (which I got even after smoking the Dunhill Navy Rolls last night. Last night, I felt that "full head" feeling and a bit of a buzz, as if after several beers. I'm assuming that's my body's unfamiliarity with nicotine. How does this evolve over time?
I find that stronger blends, such as C&D Black Frigate, do give me a little bit of a buzz. Mostly because I'm not used to the stronger blends, but I really like them. If you smoke those with enough regularity, your body will adjust to the intake and you won't have that "buzzed" feeling anymore, at least not as strong as you feel it now.
2. How long does it take to be able to distinguish the various flavors in the various blends? I'm not looking for immediacy, it's the journey after all. Just curious as to how to gauge my progres....I know many say after YEARS they're still learning.
It does take time, but you will begin to notice those slight nuances over time. Everyone is different. What takes you a month to adjust could take me two, and another smoker 6. Just depends really, but keep sipping that smoke, keeping your blends good and dry prior to packing and taking your time will allow all those aromas and flavors to come out eventually. Basically, just take it in, take it slow and enjoy a relaxing smoke, then you'll come to your senses one day, that you're smelling and tasting what you thought you should be. It takes time for your palate to develop.
3. Any tips for care of the Meerschaum that are different from my briars? What do you think of the pipes I've selected in this caase? (My other briars are Savinelli Venere 670KS and and Savinelli Professor....Both rusticated.
From what I've learned so far, the last thing you'd ever want to do is use alcohol to clean your meers. Alcohol will turn it a very not so nice color and effectively ruin the aesthetic. You'll want to just keep it clean, maybe wipe it off with a clean towel and wipe out the bowl. You don't want to leave any cake in them. The other briars are exceptional smokers, or so I've heard. Savinelli is a trusted brand and a lot of guys here own and smoke them a great deal. I don't own any of those currently, but likely will in the future.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CW, so much of pipe smoking is dependant on the individual, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. To be able to differentiate between flavours and to detect faint tastes is like that too. Its a lot like your first few beers. Remeber they all used to taste the same? Then over time, your palette changes, and you can detect different tastes.
As for your Meer, so people 'literally' treat them with white gloves and like a hothouse flower. My Meer is just as robust as a briar, its not like a clay pipe or anything. I give the bowl a good wipe with an unscented baby wipe to not build up cake (although I don't build cakes), but regular maintainace with pipe cleaners is the same. As mentioned I don't use any alcohol on it, but that's the only difference really.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Great tobacco selection. I never had the privilege to taste all of your tobacco there. Hope to get some :)

To answer your questions, in my opinion:

1. The nicotine strength is the main cause of it. Our body have different adaptability to it. Just enjoy it like a alcohol (just like you said).

2. I agree with all the post above. It grows on you differently from the others. Just like tasting soup, everyone have their own opinion.

3. Can't say anything about it. Never have a meer :D
Anyway enjoy your stay here and puff on :puffy:

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Be careful you’re not smoking too fast/hot. That will make everything taste the same (burnt, bitter smoke flavor).
Nicotine is like alcohol in that you’ll build up a tolerance to it over time. How much, how fast depends on how much you smoke and your unique body chemistry.
I’m fairly new to meers as well, but I’ve been treating my block meers exactly like my briars (hold them with my hands, wipe bowl with paper towel after smoke, run a couple dry pipe cleaners after every smoke), and they are holding up just fine. I’ve even gotten a couple hotter than I wanted by smoking outside in strong winds. The smoke wasn’t the best, but the pipes were just fine.
Enjoy!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I found that I built up a tolerance over time. Bus as I'm not much for nicotine, I tend to stick with blends are are lower in Nicotine.
First you need a solid sensitive, and not everyone is born, or can develop, a sensitive palate. People differ in that, just as they do in the acuity of the other senses. After that, it's all in building a solid technique, prep, packing, and cadence.

Get the moisture content right. For what I smoke, that correct moisture content is low, almost but not quite bone dry. The leaf may be getting crispy at the edges, but is still have enough moisture to be pliant. Too much moisture stifles flavors and the nuances of a blend are lost. Be even if the moisture content is dry, some smokers lack the ability to taste those flavors.
Try out different packing techniques and use the ones that best work for you. Just avoid packing too tight. It should be easy to draw the smoke with slow sips.
Cadence - Puff only to get the tobacco lit and then slow sips, like sipping scotch, to enjoy the flavors. If you can develop the technique, smoke your pipe at a slow enough rate that the tobacco is just barely simmering around the glowing coal, almost ready to go out. This is when the blend will release its most intense flavors. And always exhale - SLOWLY - through your nose. There are more scent/flavor receptors than in your mouth. That's where you're going to pick up most of the nuances. This is especially important if you're an outdoor smoker. Indoors, you're sitting in a cloud of smoke, inhaling and smelling it, so you will get those nuances in the smoke anyway. To smoke outdoors you need better technique.
Yes. Do not let a cake build up on the chamber walls of your meer, and do not use alcohol to clean it. Paper toweling to wipe the chamber walls and pipe cleaners should suffice.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for the responses so far particularly for the advice on the Meer. No cake or alcohol......LOL, not much of a party!
I have, since I began, adopted the "Breath Smoking" technique, and am trying to maintain a slow enough cadence to do exactly what sablebrush52 suggested; keep the pipe smoldering on the verge of going out, and making sure that the tobacco is on the dry side prior to smoking.
I do find that after about 45min - an hour, my tongue hasn't been "Bitten" per set, but that it feels as tho it is MILDLY irritated...I have the habit of drinking iced sparkling water while smoking, and the effervescence brings out that, again very mild raw feeling. I am smoking slowly, the pipes are only warm, not hot, to the touch, and so I'm chalking it up to simple N00Bness in the art of putting smoke in one's mouth.
@Chasing Embers Yes indeed, shall I let yer know if I be likin' to join yer crew, Cap'n?
Very much appreciating all of the advice. I'm hoping to get a good handle on my tastes sooner rather than later, as I fear that with the "Deeming" rules, the availability of that which I find I like will be decreasing along that trend as well.........
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Indeed, please do!
Well, I spent some time smoking my just-arrived Black Frigate (after drying for about 45 minutes). The tin note was complex and rummy, with darkness from the Latakia. The taste, smoked in my MM 5th Ave Bent Diplomat, was very complex and, sipping slowly and tasting carefully, I REALLY like the Latakia/Turkish on top of the base of what I've tasted before. There's a richer taste, and creamier smoke (maybe the rum?).
In any case, "Permission ta come aboard, Cap'n? Methinks this be a Jolly Roger in me rotation!"
CW

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cw', welcome aboard. The pipes are along the lines of what I would have recommended. I don't own a Meer, but only to avoid a whole new attack of pipe-buying. Your approach to blends is deliberate, informed, and coming along studiously. Don't get too methodical and serious; you have that part well in hand. Just as an aside, are you perchance a radio hobbiest? I'm not, but was as a kid, and served the first part of my Navy hitch as a Navy radioman (a job no longer named that way because of computers). In radio parlance, cw refers to continuous wave, a steady tone at any frequency, that can be used for Morse Code, which is no longer taught to Navy operators. The more common technology for transmitting voice is/was modulated wave, which allows voice signals to be intelligible. Cw made me think of that. I apologize if it is too far out.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Just as an aside, are you perchance a radio hobbiest?
You have an astute eye, my friend! I am indeed, and the CW in my UserName does stand for Continuous Wave. I'm amateur extra class operator, and I operate 100% CW! It's a passion. :)
Thanks for all of the input and advice! Your experience, much like radio operators of old, is much appreciated. BTW, One of my most treasured straight keys is a Bunnell Navy Flameproof Key.
73!
CW

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Rereading your first post, I get the impression that your pipes are 2 cobs and 2 briars.
Although the cobs are branded "Missouri Meerschaum", when you say "meer/meerschaum" to pipers, most assume not cobs, but actual white stone looking meerschaum.
If you have a meerschaum pipe, all of the advice given so far is good. If however, you're actually referring to cob "meers", that's a different story. Please clarify and forgive me if I'm just dense this evening.
Oh, yeah. One more thing.... ARRGH!!
jolly-roger-600x399.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Been hitting the cleaner there a little bit too Jay?
both MM cobbs and my 2 Savinelli briars
2 cobbs, 2 Sav Briars.
Coming in will be some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, some C&D Black Frigate (YES....Black Frigate), and 2 pipes: A Savinelli Quandale Smooth 315KS, and an AKB Meerschaum Lattice Bent Brandy by Mushsin.
Looks like a meerschaum and another Sav on their way. I think that's right, or hell, maybe I've been in the cleaner myself. We keep this up, we're going to have to pull into port for more cleaner instead of rum!

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Heh, Heh.....
@Carolinachurchw is correct. Actually, I have 3 MM cobbs, and now after yesterday's delivery, 3 briars and an AKB Block Meerschaum Lattice Bent Brandy.
Arggg, the cleaner be the devil's own liquor, man......
Enjoy cool smoke!
CW

Status
Not open for further replies.