PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
So I snagged a 6 estate pipe lot off of Ebay for 19 bucks. Got 2 Grabow Grand Dukes a Grabow Duke, another grabow, not sure the model as I cant make it out but it's the solid blue kind, A CAO meerschaum and an unsmoked pipe that has no maker and the only stamping I can find is "Genuine Briar" So my 1st question is does anybody have any information on the unsmoked pipe. Here's some pics.
20190513_143334-600x600.jpg

20190513_143243-600x600.jpg

My 2nd question is what's the best way to get the meerschaum back to its smoking glory. I have looked online and cant seem to find a solid answer about the best way to sanitize and clean it. This is my 1st meer and would like some advice from people who have done this before. Also here is a pic.
20190513_143032-600x600.jpg

Who ever had these pipes before me did not believe in pipe maintenance. The grabows have the worst cake build up I have ever seen. I do not own a pipe reamer so I'm curious about how to remove it without one. A pocket knife then sand paper maybe?
Thanks in Advance for help/suggestions, here is a pic of the worst of the build up.
20190513_143406-600x600.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
On the meer I would carefully, CAREFULLY, ream the cake out of it. Here are the steps. Carefully unscrew or pull the stem from the meer. Set it aside. Working under flowing warm water in the sink carefully use a knife to "carve" out the cake. I wouldn't use a reamer. Too much pressure would be a disaster. I would keep this up to relatively bare walls.
I would clean the shank with hot water and pipe cleaners.
Same for the stem.
Let it dry thoroughly and enjoy, you've earned it.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Also one of the Grand Dukes has a blue Spade, I know that grabows have been made with a few diffrent color spades. What does the blue one mean exactly?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The blue spade means filter pipe if I remember correctly. I have one that is a filter blue spade. And boy I love seeing pipes like that. That cake build up is just amazing!!!!

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I honestly dont even know how one would load the pipe to smoke it at the point they are in lol. And I will post some before and after pics of the CAO once I get the courage to start working on it. This being my 1st time actually holding a meer I am surprised how light it is, should be a great clencher.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Meers are impressively resurrectable! I got a few close to your condition, sanded all of the dents and grime off of the outside, then rewaxed them with beeswax, and they were like brand new. Good advice here on getting them smokesble!

Status
Not open for further replies.