PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
I just finished a bowl of Patriot Flake in my new and first ever corncob, an MM egg. I rubbed out a little more than one flake and let it dry for ~30 minutes, then did the three-step packing method. Lasted me 2 hours :eek: and it only took eight matches, haha. Perhaps I need to get myself a smaller pipe or something, though this cob already has the smallest diameter of any of my pipes.
Towards the very end I got a little impatient (after all, it was 4:45AM at that point, now it's 5:00AM...), but man, what a great smoke. I really like the slight sweetness that I either got from the Virginia or the cob itself. I don't think I'm building any cake in this cob, I like the corny flavors in this baby.
-Swilly

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
That is just plain corny. Looks like you just got hooked on a cob. A nice diversion from briars. Enjoy. :| :wink:

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Indeed, and given my financial situation I think cobs would be the only thing I could afford, haha.
Still need to send my broken pipe off to Dave Walker and get that fixed though... maybe grab one of nosewarmer cobs as well :P
What do you guys generally smoke in your cobs?

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
@swilly - I smoke tobacco in my pipes. Lol 2 hours in a cob is quite a feat. Hard pressed to do that in my briars where I feel good to get over an hour. Still, dollar for dollar, you cant beat a cob for value and performance.
:puffy:

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Haha gecko, what kind of tobacco? All kinds? For some reason I get this feeling that only Virginia and Codger burley can be smoked in a cob, and that otheng English blends must be reserved for briars or something, maybe because Virginia and Codger Burleys are "simple" (as in just one or two kinds of leaf) blends. To me it just seems like too big a disparity to smoke a blend with Virginia, Burley, Latakia, Orientals, and Perique in a "simple ol' cob", if you know what I mean.
I'm not sure how that bowl lasted so long (okay, maybe it was like 1 hour 45 minutes), I didn't really puff any differently than I do with my briar... oh well, I'll see if I can reproduce these results with the same amount of tobacco.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
+1 Morlader
If I know I have some time to kill, or i'm just in the mood to be outside for a while, I will let the pipe go out mid bowl and just continue reading, or whatever I'm doing, and 10 or 15 minutes later, I'll come back to it. If I do that a time or two, I can maybe stretch out a 2hr smoke.
Very impressive my friend.

Aug 14, 2012
I agree with swilly, the complex English blends don't work in a cob. I haven't found the perfect cob smoke yet, but Sherlock Holmes is good. Maybe Macbarens symphony too (2 of your most hated blends).

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Well, I haven't actually tried an English in a cob yet, what I said above were just my random thoughts. I ought to give it a shot though, we'll see. I only have Patriot Flake, Mac Baren Vanilla flake and Dunhill EMP on hand :/. I'd like to get some extra blends but college textbooks are first priority. Luckily I think I'll have two campus jobs this coming year so that should be nice *rubs hands in anticipation*.
I should do something pro and try GL Pease Odyssey in a cob or something, heh.
@foggymountain I'm not sure if this was the perfect smoke in a cob, but I think I could say that this smoke was the closest smoke to perfection that I've ever gotten, even compared to my briars. I almost wonder why I even got those briars, but they have value in their own ways. There's still time for me to find what works. My cob though? Perhaps I'll dedicate it to virginia tobacco.
If these super long smokes, which could be either a good or bad thing, keep persisting, perhaps I should take part in some slow-smoke contest, that is if I nail my lighting down.
-Swilly

Status
Not open for further replies.