PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Recently we got together here in the metro Detroit area and a fellow member (Sparrowhawk) gifted me an open tin of Sutliff April Dawn. I like a wide variety of tobacco and a 'good cherry aromatic' hasn't been easy to find. That said as background, let's take a look under the lid, as I share my experience with this blend so far.
The blend is a mixture of Virginia and burley in a nice ribbon cut. A note of 'true cherry' is there to enjoy, but it does not knock you over or leave you with the impression of walking into a candy shop. Out of the tin moisture is a little higher than I prefer it. I have learned other Sutliff blends, such as Molte Dolce, smoke well a little wet out of the tin, so I tried bowls both with and without a little dying. I prefer about a half hour of drying, finding straight out of the tin took a few relights as the leaf dried in the bowl.
With a bit of drying, I pack my flat panel billiard Cayuga (from Paul's Pipe shop in Flint, MI), using the three step method. The ribbon cut packs nicely in the bowl and takes the charring light with just a bit of expansion. Tamping things down a bit and getting into a true light, the cherry flavor gently reaches your nose and tongue about the same time. Just like in the tin, the cherry note is not heavy or over powering and the burley and Virginias do come through nicely.
Settling into the top of the bowl, I find a nice subtle cherry note and a cool dry smoke that doesn't bite. The sweetness of the Virginia compliments the cherry and vice versa, while the burleys mellow the blend with a mild tobacco flavor. Past the middle of the bowl, the cherry note leaves the blend, leaving you with quality leaf to sip and enjoy.
Conclusion? April Dawn is a cool, dry smoke that doesn't bite. I have found a cherry blend that smells great, tastes great and smokes beautifully. If you are an 'aro' fan, give this a try, I highly recommend it. If you are not an aro fan, but looking for something with light flavor and a warm blend of true tobacco flavor, you might try this once as well. For myself this blend is a keeper and will be in my rotation. Time to jar what I have and order a couple more tins, so I don't run out.
A special thanks to Sparrowhawk for gifting me with this blend (and others).

Jan 8, 2013
Sounds like a descent cherry blend :) And I understand those are hard to find. In a recent 4noggins order I received a sample of their Evening Cordial blend. I found this to be a very nice smoke as well with a hint of chocolate and cherry. You might give that one a try as well :) Good on Fred for gifting you the tobacco. He's a real stand up guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.