A Dunhill fan went to London...

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 days ago by hauntedmyst
  • Latest reply from pappymac
  1. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

Just got back from a week in England. Spent the first half in Brighton and the second half in London. It was wonderful to visit and I highly recommend it. From a piper perspective it was interesting. Tobacco was outrageously expensive. I paid 20L for 2 oz of tobacco. I bought some 1820 and a flake just to say I bought some there. James J Fox is an amazing shop. The Dunhill shop was disappointing...they had some Dunhills, all small. I've always wanted to go to London and see the factory and buy a pipe. Well, I couldn't see a factory or find a pipe I wanted to I splurged online for a new pipe (I always buy estates when I can) to commemorate the trip. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    Posted 5 days ago #
  2. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

No pictures of your trip? I am planning to visit a friend who lives in London next year.

Great looking pipe, by the way.

Posted 5 days ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

London and Wales are definitely on my bucket list. Post some pix of your trip!

Al

Posted 5 days ago #
  4. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Almost without exception, when I visit a place wanting to find or experience a particular "something" I end up disappointed. When I just visit and take what I get, it seems to end better. Looks like you visited a place, found something and then made your own experience by commemorating the trip with a beautiful pipe. Good show!! Nicely done, man.

Posted 5 days ago #
  5. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

You'll have a great time laniromee! Be sure to leave plenty of time. I think a week in London isn't too much. My kid took most of the pics. I'll see if I can get some of them. Wales is supposed to be spectacular! My wife and I are thinking of Edinburgh and Dublin next.

Posted 5 days ago #
  6. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell, you could spend the rest of your life in London and it wouldn't be enough.

Posted 4 days ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed.

Here's a thread with a bit more of Londinium....LINK

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 days ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love London. The British Museum could occupy me for days. I was handed a handbill on Trafalgar Square and went to a concert of Vivaldi at St. Martins in the Fields (which is in the middle of the city by the way) with a candlelit cafeteria in the basement level. Just wandered into that one. Saw an avant guard production of Shakespeare in the theater district, seated behind what appeared to be a group of U.K. special forces guys in their civies. You just know a military unit when you see one, civies or not. Always a great city. Climbed the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral to the lantern at the top, up suspended helical stairway inside the dome. Wow.

Posted 4 days ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

St. Marty-in-the-Field is a favorite. Your experiences are what makes London even greater than the incredible history, architecture and culture there.

Posted 2 days ago #
  10. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love to go on a hunt for estate pipes in England.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 day ago #
  11. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love to go on a hunt for estate pipes in England.

Same!

I've been to Europe once but did not make it to England. I definitely will next time, though rather than London I'm thinking more along the lines of a little village like the the Cotswolds. Probably won't find any estate pipes, but am confident I'd find a great pub or two

Posted 1 day ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've asked in dozens of antique stores in and around London, no luck at all. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong trees, so if anyone has a clue on this, please post!

Posted 13 hours ago #
  13. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've asked in dozens of antique stores in and around London, no luck at all. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong trees, so if anyone has a clue on this, please post!

You may have to visit the small country villages outside of London.

Posted 13 hours ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin, oldtoby