PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
A recent win is this Dr. Grabow 'DELUXE' from the 1940's. It arrived in a lightly smoked good condtion and just needed some general cleaning. An extra long Canadian shape at seven inches
Dr. Grabow

DELUXE

Pat. No.1896800

dr3.jpg

dr5.jpg

dr12.jpg

dr11.jpg

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've never seen that style rustication on a patent era Grabow, might be a home job. Still looks nice!
I don't know but if someone rusticated it after market they sure did a nice job!
Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Nice acquisition Durham. Hope she is a good smoker for you even with that aluminum fitment. That's definitely one of the earlier Grabows that I have seen and it looks to be all original. Back in the 50's that type of rustication was popular.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've never seen that style rustication on a patent era Grabow, might be a home job. Still looks nice!
I don't know but if someone rusticated it after market they sure did a nice job!
The rustication was factory done. Linkmans made a lot more smooth pipes than rusticated and they ( the rusticated pipes) are not very common. I've never seen a rusticated Linkmans Canadian. I have somewhere in the area of 70 Linkmans and maybe a dozen are rusticated. It seems( to me) they made more rusticated pipes during the WW2 era,possibly because a lot of the WW2 era pipes were made of Mt. Laurel.

FYI, the patent,if you didn't already know, is for the stinger. Nice pipe!

I'm green with envy!!!

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
The rustication was factory done. Linkmans made a lot more smooth pipes than rusticated and they ( the rusticated pipes) are not very common. I've never seen a rusticated Linkmans Canadian. I have somewhere in the area of 70 Linkmans and maybe a dozen are rusticated. It seems( to me) they made more rusticated pipes during the WW2 era,possibly because a lot of the WW2 era pipes were made of Mt. Laurel.

FYI, the patent,if you didn't already know, is for the stinger. Nice pipe!

I'm green with envy!!!
Thanks for sharing all the information ejames! It is a nice pipe and smokes great. I normally remove those stingers but this one has a nice draw even with it attached.
I was reading about the patent being for the stinger model.
:::1932, April 13th, Linkman applies for his spoon/tool/nicotine-saliva trap stinger, Patent #1896800:::

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Sweet Grabow, congrats sir. I have a Linkman's Zulu with that rustication which is also a wonderful smoking pipe. I really like that Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.