PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsharp

Lurker
Aug 27, 2017
Hey everyone. Like many of you, I really like Savinelli’s Doblone D’oro. I purchased and enjoyed my first tin of it about a year ago. After finishing it, I noticed that it was out of stock for some time at smokingpipes.com, where I order most of my pipe stuff. Recently it came back in, and I bought some. I SWEAR this is different stuff from what I had in the tin last time. It smells and tastes like they have added some topping based on rum or brown sugar maybe? The first time I ordered this stuff the topping did not seem to be present at all. Just last week I got the two new three nuns varieties in the mail. The green one is almost identical to what I thought I remembered Doblone d’oro To be! All these blends are delicious so I’m not complaining... just wondering if I’m going crazy or if anyone else has noticed this too.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
All of the tins SPC had initially were from 2014 or 2015, so its possible Mac Baren changed it. Guess I will have to order a new tin and try it out.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^I agree with Cortez^^^

This is one of my mine tobaccos, smoke it very regularly for two years, many batches, haven't noticed a difference in any tins.

aaronsharp

Lurker
Aug 27, 2017
How weird. Judging by responses here I must be crazy. I’m really convinced that at least in my case something really seemed to be different. I’m pretty familiar with this style of blend. I’ve also tried three nuns (the current production red and green ones), Cumberland by GL Pease, and three friars. sansepolcro has some Similarities too. I guess what I’m getting at is that I do have the palate to make an assertion like this with confidence. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Very interesting... I have been buying, smoking, and socking away tins of Doblone for about 2 years now and all tins have been dated 2015 until the last batch I picked up. The last batch that I bought about 2 weeks ago was dated June 2018. I may have to crack one of the new ones and see for myself. I also tried Three Nuns Green and thought it was about 90% of the Doblone that I know in most respects. Very nice, similar style; but flavor, body, and strength slightly diminished. If Doblone has changed it will be disappointing going from paying $16 for 100g of Doblone at Mars to $15 for 50g of Three Nuns Green. Actually at $15 per 50g I’m buying Curly Block and nothing else.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Blends can change without the maker implementing any changes. Time, of course, can make a huge difference. Crops vary. Accidents can happen, too. Doblone D'oro has been a success and I doubt that Mac Baren would intentionally change the blend.
Russ

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
All,
When we placed an order to Mac Baren back in April for a fresh run of Doblone d'Oro we didn't ask for any tweaks or changes to the recipe. And I have faith that Mac Baren didn't make any changes to the product without talking with us first. (qv. Russ' contribution to the thread.) So hopefully that'll add some piece of mind to the mix.
I just cracked open a tin, and I'm smoking a bowl of the stuff now as I type. (Thanks, @aaronsharp, for giving me the excuse to do so!) I don't think it tastes changed; I think it tastes young.
It's been a minute since I smoked Doblone last (and even then it had a few years on it before the tin got cracked), but if anything, I’m getting a little more flavor than I remember from the casing ingredient Mac Baren uses on all their Burleys and Virginias that give all of those Burleys and Virginias that distinctively sweet Mac Baren character.
I also find that generally to be the case with anything fresh from Mac Baren: a generally slightly sweeter, slightly more distinctive Mac Baren-ness to the overall profile of the blend.
Hope that helps.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Russ/Ted, Thanks for the comments! What other forum can you get a response from the Big Dogs like this one? NONE! :worship: ...

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I just cracked open a tin, and I'm smoking a bowl of the stuff now as I type...I don't think it tastes changed; I think it tastes young.
So what you are saying is this one gets better with age?? I am excited about that!!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What Ted is saying (and I agree with him) is buy three dozen tins now and put them away for a few years. I love this blend (although I am smoking the older stock) and will be cellaring this new run as well.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I love this blend too (new stuff). I recently went on a long road trip with my 12 year old son. We drove from Minneapolis to Salt Lake City. One of our hotel stops was in Rock Spring Wyoming. I sat on the tailgate of my pickup smoking Doblone d'Oro early in the morning before we checked out, while looking west towards the hills. I had never been out that way before - western Wyoming is beautiful. Anyway, smoking this stuff always reminds me of that trip.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I traded Aaron for a sample and the topping was very noticeable. I hadn't tried the blend before so can't say if its different. Though I can say very different than the new three nuns for what that's worth. Maybe he got a weird tin?

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
they seem to be changing blends all over the place as the debate goes on -

i just tried an old stand by prince albert - hadnt smoked it for a while -

burned the hell out of my mouth - never did that in the past - yep many will say the mouth changes with time - thats the old stand by - did you guys ever think that is the stand by to the point there are no regular mouths any more in the pipe smoking world ?

the debate continues

Status
Not open for further replies.