PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
From my undertanding the current form of cigarette tobacco is formulated to inhale in order to release the nicotine. My thought though is that this process is a newer one. So when did the norm become to inhale cigarettes and tobacco smoke? I assume that tobacco produced for the pipe has stayed relatively the same over time. Old pipe blends are also advertised as cigarette blends as well. So was there a time where the pipe was also inhaled or was it always assumed that one didn't? I'm also curious if there was indeed a shift, when did it happen?

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
I think the norm has always been to inhale cigarettes, not so much with pipes. I would say it all depends on the blend. Most are not intended to be inhaled, particularly any thing with flavoring added. But being an ex RYO smoker, I still enjoy a bowl of straight virginia, that I do inhale, just not every puff. As with all things tobacco, "your mileage my vary".

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
That's a really interesting question, tex.
I don't know, so I'm just spitballing, but I suspect pipes were traditionally not inhaled whereas cigarettes traditionally were. Yes, some of the tobaccos were meant for both, but I suspect this might have been due to limited budgets/availability and smokers just chose their format based on what they were looking for.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I once read something about "bonded" and "unbounded" tovacco. one allows nicotine to be absorbed by the lungs the other by the mouth. Cigaretteso were pretty much made to be inhaled.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just recently read 'somewhere' on the intertubes about Native Americans smoking and swallowing their smoke resulting in "satisfied" flatulence as they sat peacefully around the fire.

If you look at the historical ads for tobaccos, there was just tobacco, and you could smoke it in a pipe, roll it, or chew it. Tobacco for cigarettes didn't become over processed until a little while after they were processed into packs or pre-rolled. Different cigarettes historically have been the gambit of Virginias, Burleys, Turkish, and even a few that had latakia.
There is also references here and there to men inhaling pipe smoke. Just as much as men have said not to. It's not a rule. But, most tobaccos that we smoke in our pipes just aren't conducive to being pleasantly inhaled. That's the way I see it anyways.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
When I was a kid, all the pipe smokers I knew inhaled. Maybe because they all also smoked cigarettes. I never smoked cigarettes, and turn blue and cough if I accidentally inhale even a little smoke from a cigar or pipe. So for me the whole notion of inhaling is abhorrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.