PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I hear a lot of complaints about the Delayed Gratification Technique, aka DGT. I DGT probably 90% of everything I smoke, and found that for me, the key is dryness before setting the pipe aside. When a blend is at the proper dryness, regardless of type of blend, it can be DGTd. The reason being, it seems, is without unneeded or unwanted moisture, the tobacco won't turn sour. Most of my blends are burley. Virginia, or combos of the two, I have also DGTd VaPer and Latakia with decent results. Just like our individual tastes vary, the same will be true with DGT pipes. I know that I've often forgotten pipes for up to 3 weeks, and they smoked fine.
When you want to stop smoking a pipe that still has half a bowl, rather than dumping the remaining tobacco, why not try my DGT Method? First, insert a pipe cleaner into the stem and shank but don’t let it reach into the bottom of the bowl or touch the tobacco. Keep the pipe cleaner in place for three minutes to absorb any moisture. With the pipe cleaner in place, remove all the ash and embers from the bowl. After three minutes or so, remove the pipe cleaner, and set the pipe aside and forget about it.
I have found that a DGT pipe will perform best if it has rested a minimum of three hours, although overnight seems better. If a DGT bowl seems too dry or harsh, try cupping the bowl and gently exhaling into the bowl several times to freshen it again. Also, for variety, I sometimes will add another blend loosely to a DGT pipe, which also helps you freshen the DGT tobacco. Of course, DGTing won’t be for everyone, but if you have tried it with mixed results, give my method a test, you just might be surprised.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I do pretty much what you suggest since I can rarely manage to stay outside in the heat to enjoy a whole bowl. I picked up a bowl that had been sitting for 3 days and it still tasted as good as when I first lit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.