Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
In honor of not having to do anything responsible later (or early tomorrow, for that matter), I decided to make myself a drink. Since it's only about 3pm Eastern, and thus a little early to break out the rocks glass for a straight whisky, I thought a mixed drink was in order (not my standard MO lol). As it turned out, the only thing I had on hand that seemed appropriate for mixing was Moxie.
Drumroll!
As it turns out, Wild Turkey 101 with Moxie is delicious! I can hardly believe this hadn't occurred to me before! Two great tastes that taste great together! Life is indeed full of wonder. :D

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
It's a soft drink that seems to be a Love-it-or-Hate-it kind of thing. I obviously belong to the former camp lol. It's really hard to describe; I guess think of CokeRootbeerDirt kind of flavor. Indigenous to the Northeast United States. An important component of the flavor is the Moxie Man.
Moxie_logo.jpg

I realize that flavor description sounds awful, but there's a reason I don't do tobacco reviews. :mrgreen:

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Like a birch beer or a sassafras?
Maybe a bit like that, but tending toward the bitter end of the spectrum (at least as far as soda [or pop, if you prefer] goes). Maybe what you've just described also tends toward the bitter, but I don't think I've had birch beer or sassafras. I've had a locally made Sarsaparilla (which actually didn't have any sarsaparilla in it, so... Mock sarsaparilla, I guess. Still good though. It was kind of wintergreen-y), and that's probably the closest I've gotten. But the Sarsaparilla was in no way similar to Moxie, and it may be leagues away from what you've described.
I don't think I've helped you at all lol

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Born and raised, probably going to die here too. 8) John, where do you stand on the Moxie front, if I may be so bold?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I live in NJ and have never heard of it and just spent the last 5 days in VT and don't recall seeing it.
If it works for you, then enjoy :)

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I do not care for the flavor but my wife loves it. I am a transplant from Massachusetts.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Speaking of mixing whiskey...
Cream soda of your choice, 12oz, and 1oz whiskey of your choice. The wife can't get enough of it. ;)
The men can do 2oz of whiskey. (sexist comment of the day!) Callback anyone?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Moxie is very much a New England beverage. As a boy in New Hampshire, I thought that Moxie always tasted a bit medicinal, and avoided it whenever I could. A few years ago I had my sons sample it, and darned if they didn't like it! So for a few years, we always had a case of moxie in the refrigerator. I'm surprised to learn that it still being made, but then I guess everyone is. :)

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I remember my grandfather drinking that when I was a kid. I always tried a sip but hated it. I can see how it would be great mixed with whiskey.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
For some bizarro reason, Moxie is available in my little corner of Florida. I tried some last year and liked it. I enjoy watching the expressions on "Moxie Virgins" faces the first time they take a sip. :wink:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Never had a moxie, being from Illinois. Ginger ale will do for bourbon in a pinch.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'll have to look for Moxie at Bev-mo. Wild turkey is my favorite whisky.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Never had Moxie as a mixer, but might give it a try. I'm from Mass. originally and have been displaced to NJ. Whenever I'm back in Ma. I always stock up. Maybe a flavor like a Dr. Pepper on steriods. It is unique.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
"You are diffidently a Mainer."
I thought you guys were referred to as "Mainiacs"

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The closest I can come in the PNW is my antique Moxie bottle sitting next to my Old Times ...
My wife was interested in the cream soda/whiskey thing - I'll try a taste of hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.