PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My family still has the letter written by my Grandmother's brother two days before the attack

saying, "Don't worry, we'll get those &*@%#'s here before they make it to you."
He was killed on the runway with the rest of his crew and his family never received

any benefits because war had not been "declared".

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I wonder how many of today's High School students even know what it means.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
My family still has the letter written by my Grandmother's brother two days before the attack

saying, "Don't worry, we'll get those &*@%#'s here before they make it to you."
He was killed on the runway with the rest of his crew and his family never received

any benefits because war had not been "declared".
That's awful. This country has a poor history of looking after our fighting men and women and that is a shame because they deserve better.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think that, overall this country has great history of providing for her veterans. I've received more than a few of them myself. My first home and college finances are just two. The VA may be having it's problems, and Nam vets were rather harshly treated by the general public. But, by and large, we've received what was promised and what was earned.
I think Congress stepping up with regards to Fort Hood is an indicator of this Country's ability to find wrongs and strive to correct them. Now if they would take their over-sight responsibility seriously with regards to the VA perhaps things would improve.
This Country may have some faults and made some missteps now and then but our country has treated me and many others very well. Is there room for improvement? Sure! But, a poor history with regards to the vet? Hardly!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the senior Japanese military had been trained in the U.S. and knew that although they had the drop on

the U.S. at Pearl Harbor, the trend of history was against them. But to assert those opinions was as much as to

abandon their careers. The strategic purpose of the attack, to kill our carrier fleet, failed; the carriers were mostly

elsewhere. So it was a brilliant surprise attack, but it missed its key strategic targets. The U.S. was badly beaten

all over the Pacific for a year, and then came the Battle of Midway, which may have been the largest scale reversal

of the balance of war in a naval action in the history of the world. The victory looked preposterous even to our

own admiralty, and for several months they didn't fully appreciate the annihilation they had wrought on the

Japanese fleet. The Japanese Navy was never again in a position to make a strategic offense though they did much damage.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
One more observatio: I'm sure each of us can point to a brother or sister who fell through the cracks or couldn't be fixed after they were broken. But, I know many more that were put back together, got an education, get decent medical treatment, etc. Some slip through the cracks and some can't be fixed but, by and large I think we vets have been treated pretty well. I owe my friends, family, cohorts and my Country a debt of gratitude for the support I received.
I'm getting PO'd and better halt before I start to rant.
My apologies Hunter.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I'm getting PO'd and better halt before I start to rant.
Since your post was obviously directed at me I had a good friend who died from health issues arising from exposure to Agent Orange who would beg to differ. I'm new here. Are you always contrarian and combative or do I have the singular honor?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Nope, I'm saying that while the Country is far from perfect she looks after her vets pretty well. Room for improvement of course. Mistakes made? Sure. But, she certainly doesn't deserve the indictment of "a poor history."
I've had friends die from poor medical treatment, but I certainly do not indict the entire medical profession. I've have friends who can't be fixed and they self-medicate. One used his service weapon to stop the pain. Sometimes the tools and people available just can't fix or mend the injury.
I certainly won't indict an entire country and it's history for mistakes made either. Agent Orange certainly did what it was intended to do and then there were the unintended consequences. Blame the decision makers, not the Country.
If you are blaming certain bureaucrats, that's one thing. Some practitioners are incompetent. But, not every badly injured, physical or mental, can be fixed with the tools available today.
So, yes I take exception to your blanket condemnation of the Country and it's overall care and consideration for the vet. This country has a good record with regard to using the available knowledge and techniques to assist and heal the broken.
Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, I just think a blanket indictment of the entire country is unwarranted.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife's granfather was working on one of the ships in Pearl Harbor that day. He forgot a wrench in his truck and went back to get it. On his way he looked up to see the Japanese planes flying over him to bomb the ship he was working on. His wife said his forgetfulness saved his life that day. She then told me she was scared to death he was not going to come home. They had two boys and two baby girls.at the time. Then after a long day," he had to work late you see" she said. he came home she was so happy to see him. She told me that story when she was in her 90's. She told me other things about island life at that time but you could tell. That time waiting at home with four kids without knowing If her husband would return was truly terrifying. A close call on such a day as that. They were lucky when some families fathers did not return home that evening.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Really? Wow, let's hope a natural disaster kills thousands of innocent people who weren't even alive when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor? Time for a reality check, dude.
I was thinking the same thing. I have grave reservations about our use of nuclear weapons on Japan. A war crime if there ever was one in my opinion and certainly nothing to be proud of.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Gigger,
Thanks for your respectful response. Lots of debate regarding the necessity of using that damned A-bomb. As for me I just wish it had never been used but I understand WWII was what it was, the most brutal conflict in human history. Hell, I wish it had never been invented. Let's hope the human race never goes there again.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
There is a lot of debate about that. Most of the American military leadership was against using the bomb, most notably Eisenhower, King, MacArthur and others. They were ready to surrender and in talks to do so and wanted only to keep their emperor which we refused to agree to and then after the bomb we relented. I will always believe the decision to use it was political and aimed at making a point our our Russian "allies".

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The United States had frozen all of Japan's assets and secured international economic embargoes because of its "adventures" in China. Since Japan was (and still is) totally dependent on imports, the actions taken against Japan by the US were considered by the Japanese government as acts of war. The Roosevelt government was well aware that if the US shut of oil imports Japan would go to war. (Admiral Stark is quoted as saying he didn't blame them.) Yet, that's just what happened.
War is always a failure of diplomacy. Yet we tend to idolize the presidents who one way or another dragged us into them. I'm not minimizing the sacrifices and bravery of my country's military. I'm just pointing out the folly of war. On the other side, the Japanese fought bravely as well and they have their heroes. However their political leaders were utterly insane to think they could possibly win a favorable negotiating position by attacking Pearl Harbor let alone be victorious against the United States.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here are two observations which I find to be poignant:
The late Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto once stated that, "In the first six-to-12 months of war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success."
In a blog post in November of this year Charles Hugh Smith notes, "As John Kenneth Galbraith observed: 'People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage.'This describes Japan’s Status Quo of cartels and central state technocrats perfectly. Unfortunately, everybody else gets destroyed along with the Elites when the system implodes."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know Pearl Harbor was a very dark day in American history, but has anyone ever researched Commodore Matthew C. Perry and how he forced Japanese trade with the U.S.? Went as far to tell them that if they fought, the Americans would destroy them. All from Wikipedia. Maybe we threw the first punch.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I reflect each Dec 7 when I go to my old upright dresser and take out the folded flag that flew over the Arizona, daughter got it for me when she was in the Air Force, look at things I had in South Asia when I was in Navy, couple of pictures of my Relatives that were in WWIi, Korea, Son and Daughter in Desert Storm. It is a sad day for me as I review my little shrine. God I love America.

Status
Not open for further replies.