PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
From the pictures I first saw of this pipe on Ebay, I thought it might yet another WDC Wellington. I've already got a few of those in my collection so I was about to move on. What looked like studded leather strips and carvings under the stem intrigued me though, so I put in a bid and won.
The dark strips are not leather but a darker wood inlay of some kind outlined by twisted wire. The shank is stamped "Round Top" in a gold sort of gothic font. Underneath that is the triangle containing WDC with "French Briar" below that. The back of the stem is stamped "Solid Rubber"
Doing a bit of google research, I was only able to find one other pipe like it but the owner had no clue about when it was produced. From appearances I'd venture to say it could be from around 1900 to 1920, though that's not much more than a guess. It sure is in good condition if it were that old. The wood screw tenon also makes me think it might be from that era.
So does anyone else have one of these "Round Tops" or have any more information? It would be much appreciated.
8PEOA87.jpg

vU1Vu17.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have two WDC bulldogs. Both were new old stock without the stems. Phil Rivara fitted them with new stems including a bone screw tenon. Both pipes are from 1910-1920, and they smoke great.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Glad that went somewhere good, congratulations on a nice one. It really caught my eye but trying to scale back the number of pipes here I passed.
Think the band isn't an inlay, could just be grooved to allow framing with the wires and stained darker. A picture using the flash might pick up the grain in it better and match it to the bowl.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
mawnansmiff,
A most unusual pipe. It looks almost Tyrolean in style though they usually came with a windcap. Does it have an orific or slotted button
No sign that this pipe ever had a windcap. The other Round Top I found in my search doesn't have one either. It does have the orific button.
I agree about the Tyrolean influence. The pipe is constructed in three pieces like many of the Tyrolean pipes I've seen.
theloniousmonkfish,
Think the band isn't an inlay, could just be grooved to allow framing with the wires and stained darker. A picture using the flash might pick up the grain in it better and match it to the bowl.
Absolutely correct about the darker stained sections.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whatever you have there buddy, it's certainly a looker....an old looker at that. I have a couple of similar pipes somewhere, though not as old or as fancy looking as yours. I hope it smokes as well as it looks.
Regards,
Jay.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
tuold, that pipe is so unique and cool!
We need to get together and smoke sometime. Metalheadycigarguy and I are just north of the river.
8O

Status
Not open for further replies.