PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
At least that's what I think the shapes are. I've had these two cased Kaywoodies for years. The ambera stem pipe is probably a 30s pipe. The short saddle bit stem is nylon. Probably a 50s pipe.
Kaywoodie%20Amber%20Tomato%201_zpsw1kn4nue.jpg

Kaywoodie%20Amber%20Tomato%202_zpsmge0ma3m.jpg

Kaywoodie%20Tomato%201_zpsxte4ya1i.jpg

Kaywoodie%20Tomato%202_zpsys6wxxdj.jpg

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Those are both amazing looking pipes! Please tell me that you still use them? If not you could send them to me and I'll happily smoke them for Ya :puffy:

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Those are both amazing looking pipes! Please tell me that you still use them? If not you could send them to me and I'll happily smoke them for Ya [:puffy:]
I smoke 'em.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Those are great looking Kaywoodies. I notice you called the stem "ambera" -- is that one not real amber? Sure looks like it is, or at least a very good composite. Is that what they mean by "real amber" -- that it's polymerized bits of real amber or whatever?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Pitchfork, I guess I'm used to saying "ambera" regarding briar Kaywoodies as that's how they are stamped with similar stems. The case does indeed say "real amber". So I guess it is. Of some sort anyway.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pitchfork, I guess I'm used to saying "ambera" regarding briar Kaywoodies as that's how they are stamped with similar stems. The case does indeed say "real amber". So I guess it is. Of some sort anyway.
Oh, right -- there's a "Rock Ambera" series with acrylic(?) stems.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
No, the original Rock Ambera stems were, I think, pressed amber. But they looked different than what's on the meerschaums. Later (40s) Kaywoodie went to a yellow swirl Bakelite. If you've had pipes with the different types of stems the difference is easy to see.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
No, the original Rock Ambera stems were, I think, pressed amber. But they looked different than what's on the meerschaums. Later (40s) Kaywoodie went to a yellow swirl Bakelite. If you've had pipes with the different types of stems the difference is easy to see.
LOL, I had a feeling you would know the answer. Much appreciated.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
xrundog, If the amber stem is not enough to mark the first pipe as a 1930s make, the clover logo on the should be sufficient, right? I suspect that the clover-in-circle logo first appeared on Kaywoodie meerschaums in the 1940s.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Good point about the black clover. I imagine the meerschaums got the black in white clovers when they were created. Same time as the debut of the Flame Grain. Late 30s.
The short pipe has a 4-hole stinger with the Drinkless stamp.

owen

May 28, 2014
Gotta love a kaywoodie thread. Im in the UK and dont own one yet, but there appear to be some real Kaywoodie geeks/scholars out there.

Beautiful pipes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.