PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2Juw5R3x3L6Bn.jpg
A small package arrived in the mail the other day, postmarked Helena, Alabama. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I tried to get a few things done with work and find a stretch of free time that the contents deserved. Yesterday was the day. Inside the plastic envelope I found a beautifully crafted twist of homegrown tobacco, the work of our own Michael Johnson (no relation, that we know of), AKA Cosmic.
Now, as anyone who has spent more than a few hours on this forum knows, Cosmic has been growing his own tobacco for several years now, experimenting with different strains and curing processes. I had no idea what was in this twist, or how it was processed, but I knew goodness when I saw it. It has a sweet aroma, floral yet earthy, as only a purely natural thing can have. And although it was nice to look at, the proof was in the pudding. I put a fresh blade in my scalpel, and proceeded to slice off several coins. The twist was very densely packed and took a bit of time to rub out. I packed it loosely into a Stanwell Deluxe 62 and applied moderate heat. Almost immediately, the floral essence blossomed, followed by a deeper, richer note. There was almost an Oriental note to it, well counterbalanced by darker flavors in the low midrange. There was sweetness, but not in a cloying way. Well integrated. Th floral range softened as the smoke progressed, the flavor deepened, but never took a sudden or profound change. The bowl was entirely bite-free. If this was the only tobacco that I had for the rest of my life, I would be a happy man.
Around the same time that I finished the bowl, I got a text from a friend asking if I was going to show up at the Christopher Morley Pipe Club (in Philadelphia) that night. Sensing an opportunity to finally do something nice for my fellow pipe smokers, I tossed the twist in my pipe bag and headed downtown. PipesMagazine was well-represented, with five of us in attendance. I hope they will chime in here with their impressions of Cosmic's Twist of Fate.

Awesome!! I am glad that you shared it, and that you found it enjoyable. It was my first successful seed to twist tobacco.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-2015-cosmic-crop

This was the thread that had everything from planting the seed in a little tray to harvesting, curing, and twisting. It was complete with pictures, but Photofucket killed my pics.
Thanks Woods!!

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
That truly is awesome! I wish I lived in an area where I could grow tobacco just to be able to experiment a little.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wow man, that looks legit! Good job Cosmic! Looks like you’ll be fine when the tobacco apocalypse comes our way.
Nice thread title btw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, what satisfaction Cosmic must feel. I'd be so proud of myself, I'd be insufferable for weeks. Self-sufficiency is a beautiful thing.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Cosmic, that's intriguing! Woods --- Thanks for the report; do you mean by floral essence, that Cosmic's Twist of Fate had something like a Lakeland essence?

fabioptrn

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
Devil! To see it looks very good and even the description invites. Too bad that I live very far from the States.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo wo
I guess I'm implicated in this conspiracy. I'm glad to have participated in this twist, and I got out my Ulu to process it properly. Compared to the many ropes and twists I've Ulued, this one was surprisingly firm and compact. My fingers and thumbs survived the processing and several of us proceeded to enjoy the fruits of Cosmic's and Dan's generosity. Dan has elucidated the main parameters of the CT, and the only addition I can make is observe that I perceived its youth, wondering what a few months and years of age would do to richen its abundant flavor. The presence of dark VA and Rustica explains the depth of tastes that emerged, especially as I worked my way down the bowl. This specimen spiced up the Morley's meeting, especially for the 4 new members that we attracted.
hp

les

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Really cool all the way around. Tobacco looks delicious and of high quality, the photography is well designed and executed, and the write up was thorough and fun to read. Nice of you to share Cosmic, and for you to share with the club and with us woodsroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.