PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I loged onto another pipe smokers forum.A notice popped up that said they use cookies..Could someone tell me what cookies are,and should I avoid this site?

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Go to this site and you can read what cookies are all about.
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/all_about_cookies.asp

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I love cookies!
Other than that, don't worry about them as cookies are just part and parcel of navigating sites. However, never, ever allow the cookie monster!
Dxujktu.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Certain "alternative smoking" Websites in Colorado and Oregon (two states which have been in the news earlier this year concerning that topic) do not use cookies, but rather brownies. If you allow your computer to accept them, then it may act strangely for sometime thereafter.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I'm guessing this other forum is hosted in the UK?
In May 2011 the EU put out a directive in order to improve consumer rights to privacy, which means that site owners are legally required to tell your visitors about your use of cookies or other tracking technologies, and how they can delete or control them. The laws and the practice to implement this directive varies in different countries.
In the UK the compliance for this directive was botched in a series of law changes illustrated well here:
EV1R6U4.png

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
There are actually two kinds of cookies - cookies & flash cookies. They essentially do the same thing but the process for clearing them both off of your system is different. Regular cookies can be cleared by going to the options section of your web browser and looking under your browsing history. There is an option to delete them there. Flash cookies are essentially more permanent as they require (in some cases) a lot of tinkering to get rid of. Third-party applications are the cat's pajamas for dealing with those or wiping an entire drive if need be.
If big brother kicks in your door for some reason they'll collect both kinds of cookie. Hackers will also look for cookies if they are trying to create what's called a phishing scam, or look-alike log in page, to steal your information. Most people don't even know about Flash cookies so that's how they get you, even if you're clearing the regular stuff. :nana:
For system maintenance purposes pertaining to speed and privacy/security you should clear your cookies every month or so depending on your amount of web usage. There are only three downsides to clearing cookies. If you're trying to log in... Lets say here... The browser will forget your log in information so you'll have to just enter it by hand one time instead of relying on the auto-fill feature. The second downside is that if you have added items to a store's cart but haven't checked out, that cart will be cleared. The last downside is that you could loose track of websites that you don't have bookmarked. It is highly recommend that you learn to clear your cookies, gents. It's easy. That's my $.02 :puffpipe:
Oh, also... I would never recommend the Geek Squad in a million years, even if it was brought up just to be funny. They are a scam and a joke.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
As another tech, jarit that was awesome! The Effects: Senseless Panic/Privacy. Loved it. When my sister wouldn't believe me, and thought Y2K was going to be the end of the world, she went out and spent $6,000 on dried foods, seeds and goats. When she moved to a house without land, I got stuck with the stupid goats. Every day I fed them, watered them, mucked out their goat house or spent a day trying to catch one to take it to the vets, I cussed Bill Gates.
Big +1 to not recommending Geek Squad in a million years. Need to change your desktop background? Rebuild pc. Internet seems slow? Rebuild pc. Can't describe the problem in a way anyone could possibly understand it? Rebuild pc.
Best support request I ever got was a lady asking if her computer was 'flipping pages' because she had 'too much kinetic! energy', because she 'couldn't put a piece of toast in the toaster without it catching fire'. Yeah.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I don't mind clearing out my cookies, but donuts are another issue. Don't mess with my donuts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use "C-Cleaner" to periodically remove cookies, malware, etc. from my laptop (combined with Kapsersky virus protection). You can customize it to retain cookies for specific sites. If you do so, your log-in information will be retained. C-Cleaner is a free program and it can be pretty useful.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I immerse my hard drives in Mr. Clean once a month, and every third month I spray Everclear on the keyboard and set it ablaze. I've routed all of the ethernet cables through a plexiglas pyramid, and have a rabbit's foot that I got at Graceland dangling from my router. I keep a small cat duct taped to the monitor, just to keep the mouse in check. So far, knock on wood, I have not contracted Ebola.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Simnetpratt, that's crazy! At least your sis didn't start living in a bunker or something. 8O Also, you're totally spot on with Geek Squad's practice of always rebuilding everything. I can't tell you how many times I've heard clients tell me about how they were charged hundreds of dollars to fix something simple. They don't know what the hell they're doing, they're inefficient, and I really feel like they take advantage of people with their pricing.
IndianaFrank, true that. Donuts are a whole different mix. :lol:
SSJones, C-Cleaner is a great program from an even better company. Piriform makes top notch stuff. Be sure to donate to them if you can so that they can keep the project going! Also, by using the "smart cookie" feature you are defeating the point of using C-Cleaner to delete your cookies. When hackers develop phishing scams they look at what you frequent most. By using that feature you make it more obvious what you're doing on the web. Just remember, the most secure version of a browser is the one that doesn't use auto-fill.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Geek Squad is the tech equivalent of Tier 1 support from your ISP. They're not techs, if they were, they wouldn't be applying for Geek Squad money. Rebuilding a pc means you failed at fixing it, or didn't know how. Clients don't like it when all their stuff 'looks different' and all their software is gone. Same as the Tier 1 support guys are not techs, are hired off the street, and are given an 8½x11 sheet of paper with steps to try.
"Ok, please open up Internet Explorer"
"Dude, I'm already logged into the modem in Firefox"
"Yes, please just open up Internet Explorer"
"Dude, I'm looking at the modem's Home page; I have Services, Settings and Site Map tabs"
"Well, if you'd please just open up Internet Explorer"
Grr. Geek Squads sheet of paper has the following:
1. Pretend to listen patiently.

2. Rebuild computer.

3. Tell client they owe you $90.
PS Also a fan of CCleaner. My favorite free spyware and tracking cookie removal prog is still SuperAntiSpyware.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
:clap: It's so true. Thank you for sharing that. I've needed to hear that from someone else for so long now, haha!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
It's like when you can't wait on newegg and have to go to Frys, and the guy tries to give you tech advice. Just tell me where the power supplies are, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.