A Cold Night With Pirate Kake (A Review)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
The weather here in the midwest for the past couple of days has been unseasonably cool (see also: freaking cold), and when I came home last night the neighbors and some good friends had a campfire going out on the lawn. As I grabbed my Nording Freehand looking for a good latakia blend for the chilly night air, I ran into a tin of Pirate Kake. I don't even remember why I ordered it. Tried it in bulk once and didn't care for it. Pain in the ass to keep lit, didn't burn well, not a lot of flavor to me. This was, in all fairness, before I really learned how to dry tobacco and sip properly. So I broke out the tin, rubbed out a good chunk of the dark, smoky smelling brownie, and gave it a good bit of drying time. Loaded it up, lit it up and went out to join the crowd. I don't know why I didn't give this tobacco a more fair chance. When I want Latakia, I want it smelly, smoky, and dark, the more the better. Pirate Kake is just so smooth and tasty, nothing but pure smoky, meaty, barbecue type flavor. Believe it or not, at 70% latakia, you can also pick out the burley in this blend every once in a while, giving it that bit of zing and some nicotine, a little underlying strength that makes this blend, in a word, satisfying. In the night air outside, once I got the bowl going, it was a no brainer to keep it lit. No one in the crowd noticed or complained about the aroma with the fire crackling in the dark. In short, yes, it's simple, yes it's strong, and it's not going to be for everyone. But for an amazing, cool smoking English with a decent nic hit and rich flavor, Pirate Kake is hard to beat. I've already ordered a few pounds for the cellar and something tells me it won't last long. Smoky and easy burning, readily available in bulk and priced very reasonably, Pirate Kake is a stout English worthy of a true pirate. Goes even better with some old timey pirate music ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d73mC4Y-dzc

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Eric, you classified this blend exactly like I do when I want it. When I want a smoky smoky BBQ campfire smoke, this is the blend. It also contains some Perique, doesn't it? I think it is very well done but you definitely need some time to prepare it. Not a tobacco you can just jump up and smoke, you have to plan for it to give some time for drying.

Jul 15, 2011
It also contains some Perique, doesn't it?
The description online says the only thing aside from Latakia and Burley is Turkish. And I agree, my first bowl took about 20 minutes under the lamp to get it where I needed it, and still took a bit to get going but once I get it lit it goes pretty well to the end of the bowl. A good campfire taste for a smoke around the campfire, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.