A Cold and Bitter Winter on the Horizon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
What a crazy summer this has been in southern Ontario. Unusually chilly. Today, it feels more like October here than it does August. Are we in for another really cold and bitter winter in Eastern Canada and the Northeastern US?
The wife and I are actually thinking of closing up the pool very soon if this doesn't improve. Any prognostications on what this winter will bring?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Penn State Univ has one of the best meteorology departments in the world. They do a 15 minute weather forecast every evening. Last week the head guy said they feel that this coming winter will be worse than last winter; which was horrible here in eastern Pa.

My wife and I are renting a house in South Carolina for the winter. This is our first time doing this but we just can't go through another winter like the last one.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Our birds are leaving early and they is not a good sign. Alaska actually had a mild winter last year but this summer was cold, wet and windy. Uncharacteristic for the interior as our summers are usually gorgeous. I'm a bit worried about this winter, might be a doozy.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Last winter here in NC was colder than normal.Two of my trees didn't make it through.This summer so far has been a few degrees cooler than normal but not that much.I haven't seen any projections about next winter..I really hate cold weather though.I had much more than enough of that when I lived up north.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I may head down to NOLA for the winter months to avoid what I think may be another rerun of last year - I am just too old to do winters anymore!

Jun 4, 2014
I'm afraid it maybe, we had a low of 49 here in northeast PA. The maple in the back yard has a few leaves changing color, way to early for any of this!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Firewood is all stacked and woodstove and furnace are all set to go. Not looking forward to another cold one, but we are as ready as can be. I heard some geese flying last night, and this is early for that sort of thing, but maybe they are just moving around locally. As Bradley indicates, and as the old wive's tales say, check out the animal fur; we check the grey squirrel tails here. Bushy tail, cold winter, they say.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I wouldn't mind if I lived in an apartment with a fireplace, I guess. Sucks when you don't have one to sit by and it's bitter cold outside. I'm not ready.
I think I should quit my job and become a barkeep in the Virgin Islands. Or convince them that I can work remote. There's no reason I need to be in the office, right?

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Sounds like you guys are fretting about circumstances that are way beyond your control. It never fails to floor me how many people complain about winter weather, even here in the West where we rely on snowfall for much of our moisture. I understand that not everyone is mobile, and winter travel brings hazards, but I really have adopted a 'put up or shut up' philosophy on this topic. If you don't like winter weather, move somewhere warmer.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Penn State Univ has one of the best meteorology departments in the world. They do a 15 minute weather forecast every evening. Last week the head guy said they feel that this coming winter will be worse than last winter; which was horrible here in eastern Pa.
Strange, as I heard the opposite from a well known and very knowledgeable meteorologist here in the great lakes region (Chicago to be exact). Well, not the opposite exactly, but he said that the chances of having the same winter that we endured last year was very remote. Either way, there isn't squat that one can do about it except move to another location which is more easily said than done.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The last report I saw said you are both (phil 67 and papipeguy) are both right. The Northeast down the Appalachians looks like it will be colder, with heavier than normal snows. Portions of the midwest to the Great Lakes will skate by with a milder winter, but once you get to the Rockies the Frost Giants are reclaiming their own.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Peck, please, this is barely mid-August; still in summer; yes, it's kind of cool but, dude, it's still, well, summer.
The forecast is improving for the next few weeks. [:D]
Don't mention "winter" after the gruesome, errrr... winter we had last..shit... winter.
Yes, I agree and I'm surprised I responded to this thread. I can't stomach the thought of winter coming and I wish to relish what we have with the summer left to us. The only professional sport that I enjoy is football, but yet I actually cringe when they talk about practice games and preseason games (which I refuse to watch) simply because it foretells of the upcoming winter season. That, in and of itself, tells you how much I despise and hate winter! Noting but darkness, cold and white f'ing shit on the ground. :evil:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Our cement pond didn't get as much use this summer either. I doubt we'll swim again, which is crazy. But, happy wife, happy life...

I can't take another winter like last year.

adam12

May 16, 2011
The best thing to do is be prepared.
That means everybody needs to buy more tobacco

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
"Experts" predicted a much hotter sumem than usual for the northeast and at least in VT, we had a cooler than usual summer. I don't hold a lot of faith in meterologists these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.