PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I recently picked up a tin of Sherlock Holmes by Peterson, and with much anticipation filled my new Stanislav. I really didn’t know what to expect, other than a decent quality tobacco based on my previous experiences with Peterson (Irish Oak, Irish Flake).
Low and behold, I can’t figure this blend out for the life of me. Now, I’m only in for half a dozen bowls or so, but I just can’t find the sweet spot. I’ve tried it damp, dry and somewhere in between, in a medium bowl, in a small bowl and I get nothing but a harsh taste and a remote Virginia sweetness I can’t seem to pull out of it. And to make things worse, it leaves a bad aftertaste!
Can anyone give me a clue on how to smoke this stuff?

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Hi dottiewarden
I have been smoking my way through a tin I opened in August. At first when it was wet out of the tin I found it pretty awful and coupled with bad technique it tasted of burnt saucepan.
I found that it smokes better when its quite dry, and packed a little loosely, and of course smoked slowly.
Its usually my Saturday morning smoke I manage to get a nice sweet orange flavor. I hope that's of some help to you.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@warren
Glad to see somebody smokes this mixture, and actually enjoys it!
@oldreddog
I found that it smokes better when its quite dry, and packed a little loosely, and of course smoked slowly.
Thanks for the tip. I figured it was a question of getting it right.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Andre gave me a half full tin of this stuff once which I passed onto someone else after smoking a bowl of this stuff. I was like smoking Watson's old socks! Just a little off thread but have you heard the Sherlocks Holmes joke? Well it seems Holmes likes a bit of male 'rough trade' so Watsons away Holmes goes trawling and picks up this handsome chap on the Charing Cross Road and brings him back to Baker Street. Anyway he bends this fellow over the chair and is about give him one when the fellow asks Holmes to use some form of lubricant. Holmes looks around the apartment and it would seem that Dr. Watson has taken the Astro-Glide with him and all Holmes can find is a jar of lemon jam. Well he rushes back to the fellow bent over the chair and dips his manhood into the jar of jam and prepares to to mount the young man. Just as he was doing so Dr. Watson comes through the door and in shock asks Holmes what on earth he is doing. Holmes replies 'Lemon entry my dear Watson!' :rofl:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:lol:
I think Peterson's S/H is one of the finer smokes out there, and I smoke it straight out of the tin.

It must be individual chemistry, or some aspect of psychology or the environment that account for the different reactions.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Once it starts it's really hard to keep the train on the track. If it can be done, it needs to be done quickly before a head of steam is fully achieved. Is that a tunnel I see? There! On the backside of the mountain?

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I guess what confused me most about this blend is that it wasn't a stronger and bolder tobacco. It seems strange to me that the S/H is a Virginia blend if I'm remembering correctly.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I am in the same boat that the blend didnt really do it for me. Different brand but along the same naming scheme Black Shag, and Honeydew blends I did enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.