PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I've had two figural meerschaums on my acquisition list, a claw and a lion's head. Why? I really don't know. Maybe, it's because a claw is so classic and a lion's head is just baddass. Whatever the reason may be, I've been picky about the shape, style, and level of detail in the carving. So, that put most of them that fit the criteria out of my price range. Sometimes, it sucks to have champagne tastes and a Budweiser budget.
During one of my fits of MADness, I was spelunking down in eBay's meerschaum mines and found a claw meer that had everything that I was looking for. What's more, at the time that I found it, it was sitting pretty at a price that I could justify. The auction was set to end at 4 a.m. just a few days later. I eyeballed it until then to see how much interest it was going to get, dropped in my own bid, and crossed my fingers before going to bed that night. To be honest, I was low-balling and really didn't expect to bag the beast. So, it was a bit of a surprise when I awakened the next morning to find myself the owner of the pipe. Just got it out of the mail yesterday:
claw01.JPG

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The pipe comes from Bahri Tüner's carving shop in Eskişehir (www.meerschaumpipemaster.net). It's a sizable beast and a little too large to comfortably clench. Not to worry, as most of my meerschaums are leisure/reading pipes. What I dig the most about it is the crowned rim with a very nice level of detail. And, no, the stem isn't actually blue. Stupid me left the window open when I shot these photos. So, there is a beautiful reflection of the sky on it. Here are a few more photos, including a better one of the stem:
claw03.JPG

claw04.JPG

claw05.JPG

It's always nice to get a new pipe, but it's even better when it's one that you can mark off of the "want" list. Thanks for letting me gush, guys.
As you were.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The link doesn't work, at least not on my end. How much is that going for. Wow. It's sweet.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@perdurabo - I don't see that particular one on the site. I picked it up on eBay for less than half what a comparable one (but not as nice, IMO) is listed for on the site. Here's the eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/meerschaumes/
@bonehed - Thanks for providing a working link, man. Hopefully, I did better this time.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
That's a beautiful claw! I believe Sevket and Tekin pioneered that latticed basket rim, which is done very well here.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
That's a beautiful claw! I believe Sevket and Tekin pioneered that latticed basket rim, which is done very well here.
Thank you. It was the rim work that really sealed the deal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.