PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Enjoying a very nice Delmonico Steak with a bowl of Stonehaven in one of my pipes...Thought I'd share my Old Fashioned recipe-

Bullett Rye, Angostura Bitters, Bada Bing Cherries, Bar Smith Syrup, and a sliver of orange.....Fabulous!
2cog5mv.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Nice I love a good old fashioned!! I use Demerara Sugar cubes and Luxardo Cherries. I like the cubes because of the tactile mashing and mixing.
But I'll try the simple sugar too.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Well, we know what you're drinking tonight and it looks fantastic! :worship:
I roomed with an Irish guy in grad school and he convinced me that fruit/juice components can make or break mixed drinks. Here is a cherry recipe to personalize your cocktail...
Ingredients

4 pounds whole bing cherries, stems and pits removed

8 cups brandy (just be sure to use something you’d like to drink)

2 cups brown sugar

2 cups granulated sugar

2 whole cinnamon sticks

2-3 whole cloves

Mason jars with tight fitting lids, for storing
Instructions

Clean your cherries, remove the stems, and remove the pits. Set them in a large bowl.

In a sauce pan, whisk together your brandy and sugars, then add in the cinnamon sticks and the cloves. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove the cloves and the cinnamon sticks from the mixture, and then pour it over the cherries. Stir to combine with a non-reactive wooden or plastic spoon, and allow the cherries and liquid to come to room temperature.

While the cherries cool, sterilize your jars. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, big enough to fit your jars, and drop the jars, with their lids, carefully into the water. Allow them to boil for 10 minutes, and then remove them with tongs. Change out the water, bring more to a boil again, and add the jars for another 10 minutes, along with the lids. Remove them again with tongs, and place them on a clean surface to cool off before jarring your cherries.

When you’re ready, divide the cherries and the liquid among your jars. I used 2 larger mason jars, but you can use whatever you like. Seal the lids on tightly, place them in the fridge, and don’t touch them (and I mean it) for at least 4 weeks. These will keep well in your fridge for up to 1 year.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'd get as far as pouring that Bulleit Rye into the glass ... maybe add a cube. :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Looks delicious...going to have to try me an Old Fashioned one day.

Perhaps over the Holidays? :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
what are the measurements for your ingredients?
3 Ozs of Bullett Rye

1 0z- simple syrup

2 dashes of bitters

Twist of orange peel

2 Cherries...
These will sneak up on you quickly....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Last night I used Angostura Orange Bitters instead of an orange. I liked it more. 2 dashes. I still used 2 dashes of regular Angostura.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sounds and looks great.
I don't drink but I may have to make an exception Thursday night while chowing down on steak at Luger's.
I just wish I could break out my pipe when finished eating.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I've tried to like the old fashioned but have never had one that I fell in love with. My Christmas mixed drink is a rusty nail with a mandarin orange twist. Since I have a mandarin orange tree that is ripe this time of year.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4306.html

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm enjoying an Old Fashioned with some Chile spice that came in a kit I received for Christmas. It's surprisingly good, but I always hit the bitters hard. Lately in my "standard" I use three types of bitters. Standard, Orange and Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.