PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I switched from cigars to pipes back in September/2012. I have not had a cigar since. Now I smoke Virginia and English blends in a pipe. This past weekend, a friend came over and brought a couple of Cohibas (the real Cuban variety, not the fake Cohibas). I used to smoke these all the time and he offered me one. I smoked it, but man, I found it very difficult to tolerate. The nic was strong, but it was more the taste that put me off.
Have I lost my edge? Anyone else have a similar experience?

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes!
I started on pipes in October. During the summer before I had at least one cigar per day! I've had maybe 3 cigars since October and each time they just taste...strong, kinda bitter. I have no clue how I had one everyday. I even just smoked a Cuban Bolivar, while good, it still was not as fantastic as I expected...
Maybe this summer I will get back into cigars, which will have another good year of age. But I much prefer Virginia pipe tobacco at the moment.
I think maybe I am now used to tasting the much more mild pipe tobacco's, and maybe try to retro too much cigar smoke now.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Naw, I hate cohibas. Once you experience the rich flavor of pipes... the allure of the cigar wavers.
At least in my opinion. I still enjoy them. But there's nothing like pipe tobacco. :puffy:
I do love my Alec Bradley - Black Market cigars though.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I still smoke 1 cigar every night during work nights with an adult beverage. After dinner, pipe(& all weekend).

Pipes (pipe tobacco) taste better, and to me, Cubans are overrated compared to what is legal in the USA. Even when I am out of country, Cubans aren't worth the premium. Only my opinion though.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I am sorta in the same boat. I still keeps cigars, but am burning about one a month. At that rate I won't smoke them up until about 5 years.

Jason

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yeah, I have about 200 to smoke up! Lol!
I pretty much agree concerning Cubams, good, but no better than a good Nicaraguan or Dominican... Give me a Tat Miami anyday!
I am worried ab my cigar tase though... Hope it comes back when the weather warms up

Dec 24, 2012
I still have 150 Hoya double coronas in my humidor. In the day, I loved them. I bought them all in cuba. Now I'm scared to try them again. lol

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm just the opposite. But, then again, I was never a full on cigar guy. I smoked Parodis back in the day and have enjoyed the occasional cigar here and there but my love of tobacco has been experienced through pipes mainly for the past 15 years. In the past couple years, however, I have been smoking cigars again and find that I appreciate them more now than I did before the pipe.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
You've all lost your edge and its never to return,

Send those cigars to Tx and they'll be respectfully disposed of

:mrgreen:

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I am with you guys. I have a humidor full of cigars. Each one tastes very similar to me with some slight variance. And I HATE getting to the end of the cigar and having it taste like burned pretzel sticks. There's still a lot of tobacco left to burn and I feel like I am wasting money not smoking the whole thing. Ha!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I rarely smoke a cigar all the way down, even at the height of my cigar-smoking career.
Few make it into the nub club.

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
I've all but quit cigars as well. I only smoke mild Connecticut sticks and can't burn it to the nub. Oh well. I have noticed my monthly tobacco budget has shrunk. Oh, and I agree, Cubans are overrated!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have maybe 100 Cubans left in my humidor all are from 2000 or earlier and they just sit. I lost my taste for them. I give them to buddies or my attorney when he does work for me. When I was a huge cigar guy and then started smoking a pipe, I found the pipe made my cigars taste weird so I laid off my cigars for a while. I don't know the reason, but it happened.
instymp, I think Cubans have a distinctive flavor that some people like and some don't. I never had to pay a premium when I was buying them as most were lower than the price of a Fuente Don Carlos Robusto. Prices have gone up since I was buying them as a Punch Punch is going for 8.52 delivered and I used to pay 5.50 a stick when I bought Cabs of 50.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I came back to the pipe about a year ago, after a 20+ year detour into cigars. I've had three cigars this past year, the last one just this past Sunday. After about ten minutes I had to put it out. I couldn't stand the flavor and wondered if anyone else was having the same reaction.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Cohibas have a camaroon wrapper. You might not like that particular flavor as it is distinct and unique to many others that are commonly used.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I still like a cigar every once in a great while. I don't smoke a lot so I really want to enjoy it when I do. I've been turning more to my pipes since I seem to enjoy them more.

Aug 1, 2012
Well this has me a bit worried. When I go back to Belize this April, I will have little opportunity to have a pipe and the Island (Ambergris Caye) has a really great cigar shop. If cigars start tasting like poo to me and the only beer available is Belikin, it'll make for a much less interesting trip. We shall see what we shall see.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I hope not! I too have over 100 cigars in a humidor, really hope I haven't lost the edge cause I used to love my cigars!

Status
Not open for further replies.