A Cigar Palate No Longer?

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by peckinpahhombre
  • Latest reply from flyguy
  1. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I switched from cigars to pipes back in September/2012. I have not had a cigar since. Now I smoke Virginia and English blends in a pipe. This past weekend, a friend came over and brought a couple of Cohibas (the real Cuban variety, not the fake Cohibas). I used to smoke these all the time and he offered me one. I smoked it, but man, I found it very difficult to tolerate. The nic was strong, but it was more the taste that put me off.

Have I lost my edge? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes!

I started on pipes in October. During the summer before I had at least one cigar per day! I've had maybe 3 cigars since October and each time they just taste...strong, kinda bitter. I have no clue how I had one everyday. I even just smoked a Cuban Bolivar, while good, it still was not as fantastic as I expected...

Maybe this summer I will get back into cigars, which will have another good year of age. But I much prefer Virginia pipe tobacco at the moment.

I think maybe I am now used to tasting the much more mild pipe tobacco's, and maybe try to retro too much cigar smoke now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Naw, I hate cohibas. Once you experience the rich flavor of pipes... the allure of the cigar wavers.

At least in my opinion. I still enjoy them. But there's nothing like pipe tobacco.

I do love my Alec Bradley - Black Market cigars though.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still smoke 1 cigar every night during work nights with an adult beverage. After dinner, pipe(& all weekend).
    Pipes (pipe tobacco) taste better, and to me, Cubans are overrated compared to what is legal in the USA. Even when I am out of country, Cubans aren't worth the premium. Only my opinion though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am sorta in the same boat. I still keeps cigars, but am burning about one a month. At that rate I won't smoke them up until about 5 years.
    Jason

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I have about 200 to smoke up! Lol!

I pretty much agree concerning Cubams, good, but no better than a good Nicaraguan or Dominican... Give me a Tat Miami anyday!

I am worried ab my cigar tase though... Hope it comes back when the weather warms up

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have 150 Hoya double coronas in my humidor. In the day, I loved them. I bought them all in cuba. Now I'm scared to try them again. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have 150 Hoya double coronas in my humidor.

Woe is us!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I came back to pipes less than a year ago after some years smoking only cigars.

I have hundreds of cigars in the humidor and since coming back to pipes, I smoke less than one cigar a week.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just the opposite. But, then again, I was never a full on cigar guy. I smoked Parodis back in the day and have enjoyed the occasional cigar here and there but my love of tobacco has been experienced through pipes mainly for the past 15 years. In the past couple years, however, I have been smoking cigars again and find that I appreciate them more now than I did before the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've all lost your edge and its never to return,
    Send those cigars to Tx and they'll be respectfully disposed of

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

I am with you guys. I have a humidor full of cigars. Each one tastes very similar to me with some slight variance. And I HATE getting to the end of the cigar and having it taste like burned pretzel sticks. There's still a lot of tobacco left to burn and I feel like I am wasting money not smoking the whole thing. Ha!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely smoke a cigar all the way down, even at the height of my cigar-smoking career.

Few make it into the nub club.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

qhelms

Login to Send PM

I've all but quit cigars as well. I only smoke mild Connecticut sticks and can't burn it to the nub. Oh well. I have noticed my monthly tobacco budget has shrunk. Oh, and I agree, Cubans are overrated!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have maybe 100 Cubans left in my humidor all are from 2000 or earlier and they just sit. I lost my taste for them. I give them to buddies or my attorney when he does work for me. When I was a huge cigar guy and then started smoking a pipe, I found the pipe made my cigars taste weird so I laid off my cigars for a while. I don't know the reason, but it happened.

instymp, I think Cubans have a distinctive flavor that some people like and some don't. I never had to pay a premium when I was buying them as most were lower than the price of a Fuente Don Carlos Robusto. Prices have gone up since I was buying them as a Punch Punch is going for 8.52 delivered and I used to pay 5.50 a stick when I bought Cabs of 50.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

20yr cigar smoker here, I like one every once in awhile now...but pipe tobacco offers so much more

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I came back to the pipe about a year ago, after a 20+ year detour into cigars. I've had three cigars this past year, the last one just this past Sunday. After about ten minutes I had to put it out. I couldn't stand the flavor and wondered if anyone else was having the same reaction.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Cohibas have a camaroon wrapper. You might not like that particular flavor as it is distinct and unique to many others that are commonly used.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cohibas have a camaroon wrapper.

Just to clarify --

Those cigars you mention with the Cameroon wrappers are the Cohiba cigars made by the General Cigar Company in the Dominican Republic.

The real Cohiba cigars are made in Cuba of 100% Cuban tobacco, including the wrapper.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I still like a cigar every once in a great while. I don't smoke a lot so I really want to enjoy it when I do. I've been turning more to my pipes since I seem to enjoy them more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well this has me a bit worried. When I go back to Belize this April, I will have little opportunity to have a pipe and the Island (Ambergris Caye) has a really great cigar shop. If cigars start tasting like poo to me and the only beer available is Belikin, it'll make for a much less interesting trip. We shall see what we shall see.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope not! I too have over 100 cigars in a humidor, really hope I haven't lost the edge cause I used to love my cigars!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too have quite a few cigars in my humidor but I have no interest in them. I let my friends smoke them while I puff on my pipe

They are very happy with this arrangement

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking pipes for 50 years, and Habanos for about 30. I've recently all but stopped smoking the Cubans because of budget considerations.
    However, I have never found that smoking a pipe or a cigar affects the taste of the other - as long as some time was left between smokes.

"I still have 150 Hoya double coronas in my humidor. In the day, I loved them. I bought them all in cuba. Now I'm scared to try them again. lol"

Have no fear, my child - just send them to me!

"Cubans are overrated compared to what is legal in the USA."

Here we go again; typical 'Cuba-bashing' by American smokers. There's no question that the quality of non-Cubans has vastly improved over the years, and that some of them are better than some of the Cubans. But nearly all serious European and Asian smokers agree that most Cubans are still superior to most non-Cubans.
    Sour grapes syndrome?

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I go back and forth between the two constantly. Between pipes, cigars, and snuff, I am just a general nut case for all forms of fine tobacco. Cigars have a different appeal than pipes for sure. Easier to prepare and enjoy: No worry about packing, no worrying about which pipe will smoke which blend best, no worry about tamping, just snip, light, and off you go. The cigars that I prefer are milder, a little earthy, maybe a little spicy, but I will also smoke a couple of the stronger ones that are dark, oily, bitter like a good coffee or dark chocolate. Pipes and their tobaccos offer a more wide variety of flavors, smoking experiences, and a greater learning curve but with a richer reward for patience and diligence, but cigars are good for an occasional or celebratory smoke, or for me sometimes they are better for a social occasion since I have a lot of friends that are cigar smokers too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stared smoking cigars in the 80's and a little pipe now and then. With the Nazi’s on the move, the cigar houses became the only public place you were safe. I'm enjoying the much deeper and wider selection in pipe tobacco now. But when I go out to the cigar clubs, its cigars, they don’t want any pipe smoking.
    I love the Cameroon wrapper, and Dominican binder and filler, Fuente is my hero. But Patel has some aged ones that stand up. I have about 50 sticks at home that I haven't touched in months; the boxes are in a private box in the club humidor. Less hassle and always have enough if I want to do some trading.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I have about 3 or 4 cigars a week. I use to smoke about 3-4 a day. I find my tastes are more mood oriented now. Sometimes a choose poorly and put a cigar out before I finish it. Sometimes I smoke two back to back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to keep stirring the s*** tonight but...

Here we go again; typical 'Cuba-bashing' by American smokers.

I am not a cigar connoisseur but I have smoked a few over the last 10 years. I find that while the Cuban's I get while out of the country are quite nice, they are not the end-all of cigars that some find them to be. I personally attribute that to their no longer being rolled on the thighs of virgins.

It's like a great Whisky (Scotch to all of us ignorant Americans). You might pay $75 a dram for a rare 25yr whisky only to find out that the peat is just sickeningly overwhelming. Does that mean that you are a Scotland-bashing American or could it be that the specific bottle isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Heaven for me might be overrated for you and vice-versa.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked a cigar a couple of weeks ago with my son-in-law. Tasted pretty good but I was glad to come home to my pipe!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   nurseman, ssjones, anglesey, blueeyedogre, fadingdaylight, judd, woodsroad, captainsousie, halfy, pruss, 2smoke, datascalabash, salmonfisher, cosmicfolklore, redheadedsmoker, ruger414, stbruno70, portascat, carytobacco, goldsm, coalsmoke, sfsteves, kanaia