PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Made for Churchill's of Norwich, England, this pipe has found its way to me in Oregon.Must have been quite a trip. It's been stripped, base coated with black stain, then mahogany, sanitized, buffed and waxed. The large bowl has a nice feeling in the hand but a little heavy in the mouth. Very cool and smooth smoker. It's stamped, "Churchill's" over "Radica". The other side has the number 130.
churchill_zps679e912b.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tuold:
I admire your restoration skills and have enjoyed watching you get better and better through your posts.
I looked up Radica and couldn't find much until I ran across this Mastercraft entry on Pipedia:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft
There were so many of the great pipe manufacturers who made pipe blanks for the big U.S. resellers and this beauty just might be one of them. The routing could be covering numerous flaws but your staining absolutely carries the day.
Great work!
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks very much. I once said that I had been combing this site for "the wisdom of the ancients" and I think a lot of guys thought I was kidding! I actually have spent nearly a hundred hours searching for restoration techniques and advice here since last fall. I believe I have made some progress but there is a long way to go. It's great fun. Maybe next year after I retire it will become profitable.

Aug 14, 2012
Tuold: Your quote about tyranny hits home. Fed, state and local govts. have pretty much messed up my life by sticking their noses where they do not belong. I could write a book about this.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Foggymountain, you must believe as I do that there is no better person to tell you have to run your life than yourself. When others attempt to justify their meddling they say it's not because they want power and control, but only because they are interested in your well being. Push them further and they say it's for the "greater good". In the end and at best it's all just misguided meddling.
I'll write the forward to your book!

Status
Not open for further replies.