PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I had a bunch of orders come in yesterday (including an 8oz bag of the fabled Stonehaven, which I have yet to open), and I have finally hit the 100 lb mark (106 lbs to be precise). I think from here I have to figure out what my cellaring goal is. I did some math and at my current pace I am only smoking about 3-4 lbs per year, which means at my current trajectory I am at the 25-30 year mark.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Wooow, Congratulations! That's quite an impressive cellar. I am working up to it. I bet I have...7 lbs! :puffy:

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
That is awesome. Now that I have started to figure out what tobaccos I really enjoy, I am going to shift from PAD mode to a more TAD oriented one. How long did it take you to get to 100 lbs? You have any pics of how you are storing it?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've got 1 pound cellared lol
I'm still trying everything I can get my hands on before I commit to cellaring.
Congrats! MAKE IT 200 LBS THEN STOP.
Just kidding, never stop.

Dec 24, 2012
I actually started in October. My goal was to get to 100 lbs by the end of 2013, but I'm a little ahead of the curve.
Basically, so far I leave in the tin everything I buy in a tin, except for (a) Solani Silver Flake - I jar up the bag that comes in the, (b) Wessex Gold Brick - which I also jar up, and (c) Penzance and Stonehaven - I jar up those flimsy bags asap.
The only thing i really buy in bulk is LBF, SJF and FVF (the latter two I buy however I can get them - tin or bulk, I don't care).
I keep everything in my mancave (a detached coachouse that is heated and has A/C).

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I actually started in October.
Oh my! I have about 112 pounds so far, give or take. But I've been collecting since 2004!
And no birthday cards yet from SmokingPipes (even though they're pretty much my sole supplier). . . :(

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, I want to add that I hope everyone who is cellaring -- for whatever reason -- is also stocking up on pipe cleaners. I think we'll always be able to find a flame, no matter what happens in the future, but if we ever do see pipe tobacco disappear from the marketplace, we're still going to need pipe cleaners. I try to pick up a gross every now and then.

Dec 24, 2012
Oh my! I have about 112 pounds so far, give or take. But I've been collecting since 2004
I envy you. I have felt rushed in my cellaring efforts because of all of the dire predictions about where pipe tobacco is heading. I would have preferred to have done this on a much more leisurely pace, trying out new blends and being more precise in my objectives. I would estimate that about one-third of my cellar consists of tobacco I have never even tried, so I am taking a gamble for sure.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am still experimenting with all different types of tobacco-now I'm on Virginia flakes. I would like to 'cellar' but I'm still not sure which ones I truly love yet. My taste keeps on changing. :)
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.