PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So yesterday I received an email from the president of a pipe club in Southwestern Ontario. He and his club are about three hours away from my club, but we are friendly in social media and try to connect as often as possible. His email struck a chord, so I thought I'd share the recent struggle his club went through with you all.
In late 2015 the club was approached by a potential new member, this gent was local, a long-term pipe smoker and was excited about attending his first meeting. Unfortunately, life interrupted and this pipe-man passed away from a massive coronary before he could attend the meeting.
Shortly after his passing, the gentleman's widow approached a few club members about how to sell off her husband's tobacco cellar and pipes. Unfortunately, one of the club members saw profits here and he low-balled the widow on the tobacco cellar. Not knowing what she had, she agreed to sell him over a hundred tins plus whatever bulk/open tobacco she had on hand for $250CDN. Immediately thereafter this ass-hat began selling tins off at $20 - $40 each.
When this came to light, the club challenged him to own that he had acted in an underhanded way, and to come clean with profit sharing for the widow. This, to my knowledge, still hasn't happened. The club has made good with the widow as best they can. They have counselled her on the value of the pipe collection and made connections for her with re-sellers. They have also worked hard to limit their (now) ex-member's selling area by black listing him locally and via social media.
Too often I hear folks say, "My wife has no idea how much tobacco I have," or, "I could never tell my spouse how much I spent/d on pipes and tobacco." To which I now suggest this, tell your significant others what your cellar and pipe collection is worth. Let them benefit from the fruits of your passion for pipes and tobacco. Leave clear instructions on how they are to sell off and disperse your cellar and pipes.
Don't put them at the same disadvantage that this poor woman was in.
Congratulations to the club for dealing squarely and justly with all parties.
Man does it suck that anyone had to do that.
-- Pat

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Or at least, catalogue it and its worth, and leave that list somewhere it can be found in case of your death.
Then again, if your beneficiaries do not do basic research, nothing can save them from getting ripped off!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Pat, a despicable way for someone to make a few bucks, glad the other club is taking the guy to task.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:laughat:
peckinpahhombre.jpg

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I've seen this before regarding firearms collections. It would be best to keep an inventory listing value of any collection one has.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sad that some lowlife would do this to anyone let alone a grieving widow. :(
Good to hear the club is making an effort to help her out. :clap:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Sad to hear that in such a rough time some ass-hat would look to make a buck off it. My wife has strict rules that should I buy the farm she's to call in my buddy to handle all my rifles and pipes.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Probably best my wife remain ignorant regarding my pipe smoking expenditures (at least while I'm alive). But there is a free down load program out there (Picasa for Windows) that allows you to make an store collage pictures of your treasures. You can make notations on the collages as to value/date, etc. That loaded to a memory stick with instructions as to who to contact when I no longer need them is where my lovely wife can find it ( my youngest son knows where it is. He's now married and understands the value of discretion!). More then a few pipe collections have ended up at some thrift shop for a fraction of their value and probably even more widows that have fallen pray to this kind of guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent idea to have pipes identified as part of your estate, something to be carefully re-sold. But do not forget any family members who actually smoke pipes, who might want ONE as a memory of the departed. I gave away much of my late wife's jewelry to women family members and close friends, and it was of tremendous comfort to them, and to me, rather than trading them off to some jewelry buyer. Also, be precise about what can be expected in terms of return. By the time pipes are resold as estate pipes, at fair prices, and the commission is deducted, the proceeds may be substantial, but pipe-by-pipe, less than someone might think, after being advised of their value. Be responsible, but be real. I won't ask for a pipe of my long-deceased uncle for fear a cousin might hand me something of considerable value without knowing its worth. He was an upper echelon steel exec and likely had some beauties, but I'm not getting into that.

Dec 24, 2012
When I die I have plans in place to be cast adrift on a Viking longboat along with all my pipes and tobacco. A flaming arrow lauched through the sky and into the hull of the boat will make short work of the tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I die I have plans in place to be cast adrift on a Viking longboat along with all my pipes and tobacco. A flaming arrow lauched through the sky and into the hull of the boat will make short work of the tobacco.
Someone will have sneaked aboard with fire extinguishers and buckets, and will scurry off with the pipes and as much tobacco as he can muster.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
It's great to hear your club helped her out. The pipe community is a league of extraordinary gentlemen. The predators that hide amongst them will show their true nature sooner or later. Excommunication and ridicule is always a good remedy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's just awful, Pat. I'm really glad that the club stepped up and took action.
If you become aware of a "seller name" to avoid, please let us know.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Peck, I wasn't aware they made long boats that large."
Peck's "longboat."
th

"A flaming arrow launched through the sky and into the hull of the boat will make short work of the tobacco."
This ship will require several well-placed torpedos into its hull in order to make short work of all of Peck's tobacco!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife has no clue as to the value of my collection. I do have a spreadsheet with all my purchases, hopefully eventually she would be able to break the code and open it....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, at least I didn't do the probate on his estate and stole every dime from her like you did. I only robbed her for a few grand, you robbed her for 400,000.00.
My children know my pipes and tobacco is worth a small fortune. They have instructions on where to sell it all. They understand that both Rad Davis and Brian Ruthenberg no longer make pipes so theirs are worth a lot more than people who are alive.

I told them that my pipes made by Zack, will also be worth a bundle as he will die before I do. I have a plan to shoot Zack before I take a dirt nap making his pipes more valuable. Did I just say that? Ooppsss, he wasn't supposed to know that.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Unlike most of you, my plan is to smoke all of my tobacco before I expire. Or, maybe just live forever. I'll keep her in the dark for a little while longer...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
My wife has no clue as to the value of my collection. I do have a spreadsheet with all my purchases, hopefully eventually she would be able to break the code and open it....
She will just need a macro command. I can provide it for $100, just tell her my email address before you die, please. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.