Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Hey all, just want to show off the results of my latest bout with PAD.
First off is a John Calich Canadian. Calich was a Canadian pipe maker who recently passed. I've been wanting one of his pipes for a while now. This is my first of his. Hoping to get more down the line!

Calich1_zps7939ab99.jpg

calich2_zps37df39a2.jpg

Next is another Canadian made pipe though lesser known. It's a Paradis Pipes Supreme. I have a soft spot for Paradis pipes as the first pipe I ever owned was made by them.

paradis1-1_zpsbd9452e0.jpg

Paradis2_zps4083e61e.jpg

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Very nice in fact I am reading this smoking my John Calich 3E Bent Egg my absolute favorite pipe.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Thanks Irish! I think so too.
And I think the Calich Canadian will quickly become one of my favourites as well. I can't stop handling it now, I think I'm going to fire it up soon!

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@Ulrich, John was a personal friend of mine and a member of our pipe club. I spent many wonderful nights trading stories and talking pipes with him before he passed away. I will miss him but it's comforting to know that his memory lives on in his work. Everytime I smoke one of his pipes I can fondly recall those nights in the pub sharing a pint and talking pipes. One of the last true gentlemen!

Dec 24, 2012
I have a couple of Calich pipes as well. They were actually my Father's. I will have to pull them out and shoot some photos some day. I don't smoke them currently but they are nice pipes and I will have to give them a try at some point.
I am not familiar with Paradis pipes.
For the Canadians on the board, I was thinking the other day about what Canadian artisan pipe makers are out there currently. Only three come to mind - Michael Parks, Stephen Downie (I think), and the new young guy that makes Gio pipes. Any I missed?
Michael Parks is actually working on a two pipe commission for me right now. All I told him is that I wanted "deep & craggy" blasted pipes, one a Canadian and one a billiard. We decided on a Canadiana theme - though I'm not sure what that means yet. lol he is a great guy and a wonderful craftsman.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
@Troutface

As far as I know, a lumberman shape is much like a Canadian save the fact that they a round shank as opposed to the Canadian's oval. The bit is always a bit confusing (pun intended). I've seen oval shanked Canadians with both shaped bits and round shanked lumbermen with both as well.. So I don't know!
@peckinpahhombre

When you get them, I'd be very interested to see them! Especially the one with the Canadiana theme. Parks is a beast when it comes to blasts and rustication... I have a very hard time believing you'll be let down! (Interesting anecdote; Back in the day, in the town I grew up in, I used to serve coffee to Michael Parks nearly every day at the Coffee shop I worked at. We'd chat it up all the time.
@piperl12

Great memory, It's always nice to feel that kind of a connection. Thanks for sharing that!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
My understanding was:
oval shank,taper bit -Canadian

oval shank,saddle bit-Lumberman

round shank,taper bit-Liverpool

round shank,saddle bit-Lovat
But I may be all wet about this. Still a beautiful pipe, no matter what you call it !

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ulrich:
I love Canadians and yours is a gobsmacker. It's a beauty but that Paradis is no slouch either.
Happy smokes, friend.
Fnord

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
@Fnord

Thanks, the paradis is even nicer looking in person haha. But the Calich is a dream to smoke.
@Troutface

This may shed a bit of light on the subject. It's an article by G.L. Pease on the subject of billiard shaped pipes, including canadians, lumbermans, lovats and all the other nice shapes that may fall into that category.
http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/Billiards.php

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Thank you for the link. I should have known it couldn't be that simple. Still love them both. If I had the money I would order a Paradis Supreme today.

Status
Not open for further replies.